Can anyone tell me how they did after sugeryand during the 1st week?

dragonfly_1469
on 4/14/10 1:03 am - Canada
I will be going to my sister's house in Oakville for a couple of days after surgery at humber hospital with Dr. Starr.  Are doing stairs very hard, and if so when did you find you were able to start using them?  Also any tips and suggestions on how to be best prepared for the surgery and being comfortable after the surgery like liquid ideas and so forth.  I have have hears that gas pills are good to have on hand??  Thanks and so glad to have everyone out there ta chat with.  Thanks
twins4meplus1
on 4/14/10 1:15 am - St Thomas, Canada
I was able to do stairs right away when I got home but had to take my time. To be honest I remember feeling like I had been run over by a Mac truck the first weeks. I couldn't stand the smell or taste of anything right out of surgery. I was lucky to have my hubby and older kids be able to look after themselves and their meals so I could concentrate on sipping, walking and resting.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

Kathy Fisher
on 4/14/10 1:16 am - Canada
  My surgical experience went by without incident. In fact the morning after my surgery they unhooked my morphine pump and i didn't have any pain medication until just before I was discharged the next day. I did 60 laps of the hospital floor the day after my surgery as well and the day I arrived home my husband and I took the dogs for a walk...lol. I took some gas-x with me to the hospital but didn't use it as i had no gas at all and the ride home was wonderful. I had no problems with the broth, tea and jello they served at the hospital. I continued with this eating plan until 3 days after surgery and then started to introduce full liquids and strained soups. I also didn't have any issues with stairs or sleeping in my bed. Please keep in mind  that I feel a big contributor to my easy recovery is my job. It's very physical so I think  it played a big part in it.

Everyones experience is different and I wish you well and remember the surgery is the easy part.
Good luck !!!

Chickadee34
on 4/14/10 1:42 am - Cambridge, Canada
Hey there
I had surgery last Thursday.
I'm doing fairly ok I suppose.
I went to stay at my parents for a couple of days but was very happy to be back in my own home and my own bed.
I'm getting around fairly ok.  Not much pain at all. 
I feel icky most of the time.....not in an overly bad way just in a bleh kinda way.
I was able to do stairs right away and go for short walks a couple of times a day.  I'm just so scared of blood clots so I'm making sure that I keep movin.
I can't wait to move on to the full fluids part of the program next week.  Optifast was a challenge but I find this part bleh.
I have this horrid taste in my mouth too, no matter how much I brush my teeth.  That's just gross lol.
One of the other people mentioned being sensitive to smells etc and I find that as well.  Even the THOUGHT of broth makes me want to hurl and I'm not too sure what that is.  This nasty taste in my mouth doesn't help.
I think everyone probably heals at their own rates.  Listen to your body.
Take care.
Cheryl
sam1am
on 4/14/10 11:31 am
Hey Chickadee!

Congrats on your surgery!  I haven't read past your post yet, but I wanted to congratulate you and explain in case you didn't know why your breath is bad.  You are in ketosis my dear, and besides the breath, it is a wonderful thing!  Your body is burning fat (for lack of expertise on the actual facts) and fast!  You will lose a lot of weight when you are in ketosis, so its worth the bad breath!  You sound like you are having a normal recovery, keep it up darlin and you will be soooooo happy!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

mountainmike
on 4/14/10 1:47 am - Mountain, Canada

The last thing I took for pain post op was the day I was d/c from hospital (2 days post-op), and it was just Tylenol.  I'd say the feeling is more like someone punched your stomach a hundred times, or you did a ton of sit-ups. For me it was never an acute, knife-like or sharp kind of pain.  More like you got beat up a bit lol.  It's not terrible, or at least was not for me.  

I would not have wanted to do a lot of stairs but that's just me.  Go slow.  Remember you will have just had a number of incisions into your abdomen (I am assuming lap surgery), and you have a new pouch sewn together with daintly little sutures.  So my personal opinon is that "less is more" in that first few days. Even if you feel really strong, do be careful with movements that stretch and move your abdomen.

I didn't have a lot of gas but I did have the strips on hand.  Make sure you have a real comfy chair to crash into and a table beside it for water, meds and so on.  You won't be able to lift much for a couple of weeks.  Get some Tylenol or T-1's to keep on hand for pain.  For liquids don't over-buy.  I bought way too much stuff I never really used.  You'll want lots of water, maybe something like Crystal Lite to flavour it with, some juices if you are allowed to have them (e.g. half strength apple juice), and stuff like that. Hopefully you'll have a friend or family member who can do runs to the store for you as you start to build up your diet. I especially would advise not to over-buy on the protein drinks and so on; after reading so much on here I bought some of that stuff, most of which I never really used, and could have bought after the fact if needed.

Best of luck to you,

Mike

For last year's words belong to last year's language.
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
T.S. Eliot  
irol770
on 4/14/10 3:20 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
I had my surgery on a Wed night and was d/c Saturday morning.  I stayed at a hotel for the first night and then drove home on the Sunday.  The day I was discharged I did a bit of shopping after having a nap, and did not have any pain meds as the pharmacy closed at 5:00 (which I didn't know) and I got there too late.  On the Sunday we drove home for 4 hours, stopping a few times to get out and walk and such. 

I have stairs at home and never had a problem with them.  I think the biggest problem is that your abs are so sore and it is hard to use them.  So when you are trying to lie down or sit back up it is difficult.  I had to roll off the couch or out of my bed rather than sitting up first.  And when I went to bed I couldn't just sit down and then lie back...had to modify a bit.  But it was doable.

I think you'll be fine.
Glitter Text Generator

looking21
on 4/14/10 4:52 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hi, just had my surgery last Friday ( 9th). I sure felt like I had been hit by a truck for the first 2 days and needed the Percocet pills, gas pains has not been an issue but the abdominal muscles are not cooperating for me to get in and out of bed and chairs.I am using Tylenol #1's twice a day still. My biggest issue right now is a large am't of serrous sanguinous drainage from one of the sites. I have to do a dressing change 4-6 times a day. Like Mike said. I bought too much liquids. I am not allowed to lift anything over 15 lbs for at least 3 weeks so family has been doing the garbage, laundry carrying etc for me. I haven't been able to go out for walks so far due to all this drainage. My focus is getting the fluids and vitamins and meds in. No regrets yet but not in the happy spot yet either. It will come. Stairs were not hard because you don't need abdomial muscles for that but you need the strength. Hats off to those who went there alone for surgery and went back to work withinn 2 weeks. I bow to your bravery!! and strength!!
LouiseF
on 4/14/10 7:46 am
You should get your surgeon to refer you for home care. We have great bandages/dressings that hold a lot of fluid, and with that much drainage you really need a health professional keeping an eye on your recovery. Also, you need to make sure that your pain is under good control so you can be up and moving.
BMI 36 with co-morbiditites : Hypertension  GERD    HW-240,
Orientation weight 230, SW 213, CW- 162 

Help a great kid.

Migraine sufferer - see my blog for help getting VSG
dragonfly_1469
on 4/14/10 6:21 am - Canada
Thank you to all your helpful posts!
Most Active
Recent Topics