back from emergency

highlandbear
on 5/2/10 1:03 pm - Canada
Ok right now I am very upset and angry. Went to emergency at 3:30 and did not get home untill after 9 and nothing was really done and still no answer. The first doc. asked why I was there explain everything and he said well they already did a scope so there is nothing we can do. I explain that the surgeon had said if I was feel worse to come and that he was on call. Once I said that he than looked me over and said he would call the surgeon. X-rays were taken. I was told I would need to wait for the surgeon and guess what I never got to see him. Another doc came in and said it would be best if I go home and they well arrange for tests to be done. I had to ask what the x-rays showed and she said there is nothing they can see wrong but I am full of feces. I told them I have been having huge problems going to the bathroom and that I am taking
2 tablespoons of Senokot at night and still can not go. Nothing was said about this just go home. I can not take gravol since I am allergic to it. So now I sit here without being able to have a crap and can't eat because if I do feel sick to my stomach. I can drink some liquids but if I get to much into me I will feel sick.  I know I need to find out what is wrong can not live like this. I have done so well and I am almost 6 months out so to start having this problem now is so hard. I asked about if it could be gallbladder and they just said no without checking it out. I left in tears and the funny thing is the doc said if it gets worse please come back. Do they really think I will go back after tonight when nothing was done. I guess I could look at it this way good way to keep losing the weight. I can't even eat soup without feeling sick and you really don't want to eat knowing you are going to feel sick. Well now I am off to bed. Needed to vent. Maybe tomorrow I will go to the bathroom with some luck
dragonfly_1469
on 5/2/10 1:15 pm - Canada
I am so sorry for what you are going through.  Sometimes doctors forget what it is like to be in pain.  My brother in law is a doctor and my sister quite often will bring to his attention about not forgetting his compassion but a lot of doctors seem to forget it.  Whatr did they think they could do for you later that they couldn't do for you now.  It makes me so angry when I hear things like this.  I hope the plumbing starts to moave along quickly for you.  VERY VERY painful to not be able to go poop.  I hope this finds you feeling better.
nanpet
on 5/2/10 2:11 pm - Brampton, Canada
Hey which hospital did you go to?  Have you tyed suppositories?  That  is the only way I can go.  My dr. suggested Glycerine suppositoris every morning. Said is is less addictive than most laxatives.  Seems to be working most days.  I'm 19 months out, and still have this problem so I hear ya.  From the cronic constipation I ended up with a herniated rectum.  I had to have surgery to corect it in March.  Get this looked after.  Push your doctors until it gets fixed
Nancy PMy Angel is Darlene (Dardar)
Start 281,  Start Optifast 257, 
SW 242, 
Current 151
39 lbs lost pre surg.

andreadoe
on 5/2/10 7:52 pm - Newmarket, ON, Canada
Hi Highlandbear,

Your Avatar doesn't give us much information. What hospital are you dealing with? Who's your surgeon?

I recall getting told off (so to speak) by my surgeon for going to emerg & not INSISTING I see a bariatric surgeon. I got sent home too - after they treated me with IV gravol, pain meds & hydration. Turns out I had a small hernia which caused a bowel obstruction. I needed immediate surgery. I think you needed to insist on seeing your surgeon. If you push, they'll get him. As my surgeon explained to me - at HRRH, if a bariatric patient presents in ER with abdominal pain, the ER doctors are supposed to automatically contact the bariatric surgeon on call. They often don't though. It's up to us to stand up for ourselves & insist.

I hope you feel better soon. It does sound like you're impacted & need to go. I don't know why they didn't give you an enema or something. . .

Take care,

Andrea

OH Certified Support Group Leader for the York Region/GTA Support Group.
ohcardsmandrea.jpg picture by lynnca1972

cushiebunny
on 5/2/10 9:12 pm - Canada
I know whenever I get FOS ~ ful of sh*t ~ I feel sick to my stomach when I try and eat.  It slowly gets harder and harder to eat solids, and then even drinking becomes uncomfortable.  Our intestines are much shorter now and it does not take very long to become backed up. 
It's very important to get yourself working in that way.  When you finally do go please try and up your fiber hoping to stay regular.  Meanwhile things are probably pretty impacted low down in the tract.  Things like laxatives start working on the fecal matter higher up it seems from my experience.  You have to break the blockage at the bottom.  Glycerin suppositories are ok, but when matters get that tough sometimes I need something stronger like a Dulcolax suppository.  Enemas scare me these days as if I am that full I am afraid to put too much more in, but perhaps a partial enema to moisten up the blockage at the bottom.  Once you can get it broken up a bit maybe the rest will flow out.  And then hopefully you will start feeling better.  Never underestimate the power of a good poop.

debralight
on 5/2/10 9:20 pm - Canada
The MIS group I think suggests Milk of Magnesia every hour until you poop. Anyone I know who has done that has pooped within a day. Might be worth a try.  They suggest it right after surgery if someone has issues.  I'd think it would work anytime though.

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

mommy-of-two-boys
on 5/2/10 9:26 pm - Ottawa, Canada
OH NO that's what wrong, your constipated... makes perfect sense why you would be feeling so sick!!
You poor girl, hopefully your surgeon can get things moving for you!
You would think they would have at least given you an enema or something to help get things started!

Good luck and please keep us posted

Hugs
Jenny
(deactivated member)
on 5/2/10 9:49 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I would be afraid I have an obstruction. Is that what you're thinking is wrong with you? You may need surgery. I'd get back there and just wait it out as frustrating as that is and insist you see your surgeon.
murphy10
on 5/2/10 10:08 pm - Hamilton, Canada
 You sure aren't having a very easy time of it right now.  I'm surprised that the wouldn't have done something at the hospital to help your constipation.  Have you tried an over the counter suppository to help you?  Try calling your GP about getting some relief, that could be the cause of the whole thing.  Hang in there.
twins4meplus1
on 5/3/10 4:34 am - St Thomas, Canada
Did they rule out bowel obstruction? Are you able to pass gas?
When I went to emerg they did Xrays to rule out an obvious bowel obstruction first. I then did 2 days of clear fluids only with Milk of Magnesia every hour to get things moving.
Later on I did a "small bowel flow through" test with barium to rule out adhesions in the bowel from previous abdominal surgery and also an Upper GI.
Did they suggest an enema to clean things out?

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

Most Active
Recent Topics