Different Types of Surgery

Michelle G.
on 5/11/10 1:00 am - Guelph, Canada
Hi all. I have been doing a LOT of research on the types of WLS.  I was going to go for RNY, but then I found ouf that you cannot take NSAIDs with that one.  I am thinking about going for the VSG, but I have heard that many doctors in Ontario will only do VSG for extenuating (?sp) cir****tances.  Is this true?  If so how do I get my doctor to consider that option for me?

I am only so concerned about this becuase I have had horrible migraines since I was a child and the only thing that works for them is Advil or Motrin.  Tylenol does not take the pain away one bit. 

Can someone please help??

Thanks!

www.facebook.com/mgauvreau
honourh
on 5/11/10 1:24 am - BARRIE, Canada
I went through the program at TWH and the surgeon I saw seemed open to performing the VSG, as well as the RNY.  He prefers the RNY, but he did ask me what surgery I wanted.

Hopefully whoever you get will be as flexible...
~ Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become ~        

Consult  254.8lbs  Surg.  220lbs NUT Goal 140lbs
  My Goal 127lbs   REACHED!!                
sam1am
on 5/11/10 1:58 am
Hi there,

Your headaches and need for NSAIDS may be the extenuating cir****tances that you need to get your choice.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

LouiseF
on 5/11/10 2:55 am
I too suffer from migraine. Dr. Klein who is very much against the VSG has agreed to my request for VSG- as I need to take NSAIDS. They will try to scare you by saying there are risks re leaks- but from what I have read there are leaks with RNY and other complications. Stick to your guns. btw not all are difficult to get to agree to VSG.
Michelle G.
on 5/11/10 3:14 am - Guelph, Canada
Thanks for all your help everyone!!! 

www.facebook.com/mgauvreau
ericaFG
on 5/11/10 5:10 am - Cambridge, Canada
 You might want to consider asking to be referred to Hamilton and Dr. Hong.  I hear he is very supportive of the VSG.

Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Laurie R.
on 5/11/10 8:36 am - Windsor, Canada
Just a little FYI, I too had miagraines from a very young age and took alot of advil. I talked to a lady the day the I went for my consult who too used to have miagraines she said she very rarely got headaches after surgery. Pre WLS I would have atleast one horrible miagraine a week, since my surgery 3 yrs ago I can honestly say I have had 2 miagraines. And even the slightestt headache is treated by Tylenol rapid release gels. I am happy happy! This may not be the case for everyone but it was for me. I have also read on the forum other people who have had the same outcome. Just a little food for thought.

3 years Post-Op Life is Good I  myself --Ive lost  227 lbs 
BMI

dragonfly_1469
on 5/11/10 9:52 am - Canada
Would the vsg be covered by ohip in these cir****tances?
canadianmist
on 5/11/10 1:52 pm - Bracebridge, Canada
the VSG is covered in any cir****tances....it is becoming as popular as the RNY..... my surgeon is for the VSG and he told me that it will become the number one surgery over the RNY in the future.... alot healthier and less leakage with one staple line compared to the stitches and staples line with the RNY.... that is just what i was told and i did not have to have medical reasons for getting the VSG as he just asked me which one i wanted ......

Jennie M.
on 5/11/10 10:01 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 I'm starting to like Dr. Sullivan the more I hear about him.  This is what my surgeon, who is the head of surgery at Barix in Detroit, says. He is finding his VSG patients are doing as well as the RnY patients and the surgery is less complicated and takes less OR time, etc as well. You'd think OHIP and their cost cutting ways would like this. LOL

Urban Poling Instructor, 5K runner & soon to be CanFit Pro Personal Trainer
HW339/Lowest Wt 175/CW210/GW175  Plastics done (TT & BR) 8/31/10

Most Active
Recent Topics