eating triggers

debralight
on 4/4/11 8:29 am - Canada
 I know i have a tendancy *cough* to comfort eat but the more I analyse it the more I realise I use food as drug to keep me awake. 

Its my realisation of the day.I know its not horribly deep or unusual or anything. However saying it outloud (or writing it in a forum) makes me realise its a real and ongoing problem. 

Eating when I'm tired gives me a  sugar rush and instant energy but really doesn't make me feel better or more awake. So I keep doing it why? Because being full and tired makes one feel better? Nope.. 

Must change this behaviour.  

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 8:41 am
As I have been taking care of my grandchildren this past week I have been finding I have a tired moment in the afternoon. I have been going outside to shovel, walk the dog or play with the kids to get past the sleepy feeling.

I know boredom is a trigger for me. Perhaps finding something to keep you busy will help.
debralight
on 4/4/11 9:21 pm - Canada
Boredom eating is an easy temptation to get into but this isn't quite where I realised I am with this particular eating issue.

I am eating to keep myself awake rather than deal with the root of the problem - it has nothing to do with boredom. I've got long term issues with sleep that mean I' m trying to work with very little sleep some days - and one of the ways I've learnt to work with it is to eat. And yes, I'm working on the sleep issues medically using more than one approach.

The really odd thing is that I'm finding that my body's reaction to food in this cir****tance is more and more negative. Not only does the food not give me more than momentary energy I end up feeling queasy.

What got me to write was that I'm finally learning to hear my body and to notice the effect food has on me. i spent years feeling like i didn't have the food "feedback" that people of normal weight have about food. Finally I'm able to hear my body's feedback. Knowing that eating in X cir****tance will make me feel badly is a huge realisation for me - and I think an important step in developing new behaviours.

With boredom eating I've become good at recognizng that and substituing having a drink (crystal light) or a cup of tea for food and then finding something else to do. I'm not perfect but more and more before I eat I'm spending a few moments examining why I'm eating.
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Karen M.
on 4/4/11 11:19 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Debra,

I have pretty severe insomnia/sleep issues as well and I can relate to what you're saying.  It hadn't occurred to me before, but it could well be a trigger for me too and something that I'm going to monitor.  Glad you brought it up.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

iluvthesun
on 4/4/11 8:42 am - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I have always done the same thing when driving.  I kept a bowl of treats beside me in the car and would eat my way to wherever I was going.  I'm not sure if it was the sugar rush, or just that I figured I can't fall asleep while I'm chewing....

I made a 10 hour drive at Christmas and had tic tacs instead......Plus I believe I am sleeping much better now so I'm not as tired.

Nancy
supergirl3
on 4/5/11 12:10 am - Canada
Debra,

I have a child who has not slept throught the night in 13 years.  Guess when my weight gain started?  Thirteen years ago.  The more tired I am, the more I crave carbs.  The only difference for me now is that I can no longer eat the large quantities I used to be able to.  But I attribute my long-term sleep deprivation to my weight gain.

I now drink coffee all day.  Better than chocolate I guess.

SUPERGIRL
Start weight - 287
Lowest - 123
Current - 130's
Height 5'7"

JennR
on 4/5/11 2:24 am
I used to work night shifts and I ate all the time to keep myself awake and going and of course gained weight. Now my triggers are watching tv and reading. I don't seem to be able to do either activity without munching.

Most Active
Recent Topics