Needed to know

Denise77
on 4/26/11 12:09 pm - Peterborough, Canada
I need to go and get protein shakes and the powder but need to know what brands I am looking for and kinds My surgery is coming up very very fast and I am soooo scared for this. Never had any type of surgery before... My date is May 4th at Twh with Dr Orkrainic...

sam1am
on 4/26/11 12:45 pm
First of all, congratulations on your upcoming surgery!  Many people go through several types of protein before they find one that they like, so its really hard to give recommendations.  There are some protein suppliers (Popeyes, GNC, not sure?), that will let you sample some powders.  That may help you find one that you like.  I've heard that a lot of people like the Costco brand of ready made protein.  I personally like the Bio X Extreme Whey Protein Isolate Natural (unflavoured).  I mix it with milk, then add it to my coffee.  Marion mixes it with other things like oatmeal, orange juice etc., if I remember right.  I really recommend that you don't buy too much before surgery as our tastes change.

Don't be scared, you're in for a life changing amazing phase of your life!  Good luck!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/11 12:57 pm - Toronto, Canada
 just curious, I'm pre-op and still have a long wait until I even get invited to an orientation, but does the protein have to be whey based?  I don't tolerate whey very well.  Can the protein powder be vegetarian instead?
Leanne1
on 4/26/11 10:28 pm - Newmarket, Canada
If I need a protein shake, my "go to" is premier protein, you can get it at costco
30g protein, 3g fat, 2 net carbs (3g fibre)
Denise77
on 4/26/11 11:37 pm - Peterborough, Canada
ok thanks...now is this pre-made?
cuz i know they said i would need to get premade shake and protein powder
Leanne1
on 4/26/11 11:58 pm - Newmarket, Canada

yes, they are "ready-made" ;) they come in chocolate.

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Mary A.
on 4/27/11 12:33 am
my suggesiton would be NEVER buy a large amount of protein powder until you have settled on a particular brand and flavour or have learned to "doctor" it to suit your palate.

After surgery it took me almost 3 montsh and 18 different types of protein powders, which indluded ready made in order to find something I could actually enjoy taking.

I mean seriously, if you have to plug your nose and hold your gag reflexes when you drink a protein shake eveyr morning you need to find another.

I shop only at GNC..at the moment I have IsoPro unflavoured, low carb and it has 32 grams of protein (I belive per scoop...maybe a bit less)

also GNC will allow you to return a protein if you don;t like it (WIN/WIn)...and something to think about when you consider where you are gong to buy it...CHEAPER doesn't always mean better OR that you will like it....and believe me the amount of protein powders I have gagged down because I spent the money and wasn't going to watch it go down the drain...well as stated it was quite a few.

If you are fortunate to have some WLS buddie sin your area..like I did they would give me a couple of scoops in a ziploc baggy and I could try a couple of shakes that way....

as far as the surgery, most of us have never had this type of surgery before...and it's NORMAL to be nervous...but know that if you have chosen the right surgeon and right facility and have some good support you will do AMAZING!

all the best

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics