Optifast ingredients

onikenbai
on 5/1/11 3:56 pm - Canada
Last time I had surgery they tried to put me on protein shakes and it didn't go well at all as I was writhing on the floor in agony.  Body doesn't seem to like liquid protein at all.  

I was looking up the ingredients of optifast in preparation for meeting with the NUT and I see that the third ingredient is soy oil.  Problem.  I could probably take little bits of soy here and there and get by, but soy oil all day, every day for three weeks won't cut it.  Last time I ended up going to a pre-op diet of all food, but the kinds were tightly controlled.  It worked... my surgeon told me my liver was fine, and I lost something like 30lbs in a month.

I tried a good variety of shakes: non-dairy, gluten-free, no soy etc. and they all made me sick as a dog.  The only one that didn't make me sick was the Isopure, but I don't think it really does as much nutritionally as the optifast.  Has anybody else run into the problem of shake intolerance?  What did you do about it?
debralight
on 5/1/11 9:07 pm - Canada
As the optifast is prescribed by the surgeon you'll really need to talk to him/her about it. The NUT isn't the one *****quires the optifast.

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

HaveKidsWillTravel
on 5/2/11 3:05 am - Canada

Yikes I didn't even think of what is in the Optifast! Thanks for letting me know about the Soy oil as I am allergic to soy. I wonder what they will suggest I take?!

Most Active
Recent Topics