Hair Loss

Nottobad37
on 5/9/11 2:56 am - ON, Canada
Hope Everyone is having a wonderful day!  I am 4.5 month out of surgery and the hair loss has begun, I was hoping maybe i can get a few tips or idea's on how I can help stop this?  Maybe a suppliment or  some super food LOL   Thanks
debralight
on 5/9/11 3:03 am - Canada
protein and make sure you are getting your iron.

Sorry nothing magic.
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Nottobad37
on 5/9/11 3:26 am - ON, Canada
Thanks, I am doing the protein and will look into my iron!
Referral Sent April 21st  2010
Orientation @ TWH  June 30th
Nurse and Social Worker September 7th
Nutrition Class and Dietitian September 8th
Psychologist October 4th
Surgeon November 5th
Pre Op December 9th
Surgery December 22nd Merry Christmas to Me
Mary A.
on 5/9/11 11:10 pm
On May 9, 2011 at 10:03 AM Pacific Time, debralight wrote:
protein and make sure you are getting your iron.

Sorry nothing magic.

most definatly the protein

I just responded to someone in another thread that asked about protein after surgery

I had surgery 2 years ago and was on a variety of Bariatric boards a year prior to surgery and what I can say is that those that were able to get their required amount of protein in earlier, suffered less hair loss.

I had a friend who had her surgery 3 months before me, she got her protein in quickly and suffered NO hair loss at all

The good thing is..it will slow down and stop
in some cases once your body gets fully adjusted and you start to up your protein...mine started at about 7 months and lasted for 5 months in total./

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

cindymbear
on 5/9/11 3:05 am - Brampton, Canada
I'm not there yet (and not looking forward to it) but I've been told Biotin is suppose to be good for stopping hair loss and promoting re-growth.   I'm not a doctor but a friend of mine who had surgery used it and recommended it.

Nottobad37
on 5/9/11 3:24 am - ON, Canada
Can I buy it at a drugstore?
Referral Sent April 21st  2010
Orientation @ TWH  June 30th
Nurse and Social Worker September 7th
Nutrition Class and Dietitian September 8th
Psychologist October 4th
Surgeon November 5th
Pre Op December 9th
Surgery December 22nd Merry Christmas to Me
cindymbear
on 5/9/11 3:28 am - Brampton, Canada
I think so but honestly, I haven't look for it myself yet. 

PatXYZ
on 5/9/11 3:29 am
I believe zinc is also being investigated as helpful in preventing hair loss.
Marny B.
on 5/9/11 3:54 am - Canada
I was taking zinc as they said my levels were low and would encourage hairloss.  I have been taking it for over a month, but I haven't seen any changes.  My hairloss started at 2 months out.  I am 5 months post-op today, and I CAN say that recently I have noticed effects subsiding a bit.  I am still loosing, but notice a dramatic difference in how much.  Phewf.

I don't really know what you can do to really prevent or stop it.  I think the "damage" is already done early post-op.  Me?  I cut my hair short (even more so than it already was), and lightended the colour so my scalp wasn't so noticable.

It's really alarming, I know.  It will pass though.  Good luck.

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

suzyq0052
on 5/9/11 5:00 am
Being well past 50.. (will be 59 in Nov) I started with post menopausal thinning hair right up front and centre on my scalp about a year ago, and its become quite noticeable. I have naturally very dark brown hair and surprisingly for my age very little gray hair, and that darned thin hair area is hard to try to conceal. To make matters worse I got a bad sunburn on my scalp in that thin hair section (dead centre at front of my scalp) and its now a lobster red color scalp so it really draws attention to my thinning hair. I am just 10 wks postop and every day I watch for any increase in lost hairs in sink, tub, etc.. as I cannot afford to lose any more hair up front! I dread the thought of losing more hair as an after effect of WLS.. so am open to any and all suggestions for preventing further hair loss. My family doc does not seem too concerned about it all... of course he has gone bald prematurely so my complaints of losing hair seem "small potatoes" to him.. LOL but post-menopausal hair loss has done a real number on me.. my scalp shines through when I stand near a light, and I worry that its gonna be even more noticeable real soon.
Any women out there have any luck with Rogaine, that is sometimes prescribed for men to apply to their scalp for thinning hair?

suzyq0052

Most Active
Recent Topics