Orientation: What to expect?

Jeff Z.
on 6/11/11 6:40 pm - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 I could probably do a search, however I've never cared for the feature on OH (compared to other forums/boards I've frequented over the years).  Never quite got the hang of it, so I apologize for my ignorance.

Anyway...

I'm curious to know what I should expect at the orientation session?  Outside of my knowledge that it is a group session, no other details were provided to me.  

My assumption is that they go over the various surgeries, perhaps eating habits, and other pertinent information.

I am by no means an expert, but I've done my fare share of research in this area (over 8 years), so it is not as though I am inadverse to bariatric procedures.

Admittedly I'm not much of a fan of group settings, especially when I feel put on the spot to give responses to questions.  

I guess I prefer to go into these types of situations knowing exactly what I should expect.  

And now I am yammering (its late...or early). 

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

LAURIE G.
on 6/11/11 10:21 pm - tillsonburg, Canada
Hi Jeff,
Welcome!  You've come to the right place....I've learned so much over the last year from this site.
Orientation is a breeze.  You're right, they do go over the procedure with you but their is no putting anyone on the spot.  There is the opportunity at the end to ask any questions that you may have.  What clinic are you going to?  I've being going to the clinic in Windsor and have just switched to the TWH for surgery.  Both clinic were friendly and very helpful.  They treat you as an individual and make you very comfortable.  The orientation is informative and also gives you a chance to see that you're not the only one that's overweight.  I'm like you, I don't like walking in not knowing what I'm getting into.  No need to worry...great experience!!
Laurie

JUSTJENN is my
Jeff Z.
on 6/12/11 4:21 pm - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 Thanks Laurie.

As was mentioned below by a friend of mine, I have already undergone a VSG back in October 2009.  I am now undertaking the process of working towards having approval for the switch portion of a Duodenal Switch (DS).

So I assume then any sort of statistical information (weight, height, etc.) would be done at one of the individual follow-up appointments?

I've been sent to TWH, which I will assume is geographically the closest.  

At my heaviest I was 750lbs, and was probably around 720lbs when I did an assessment at St. Joe prior to the plan proposed to me by the Ministry of Health to go to Cleveland Clinic and have a VSG.  I'm sitting at the 500lbs mark now (haven't weighed in a while), so I'm still likely the biggest or one of the biggest patients presently.  Thankfully I am as tall as I am wide, lol.

Can you comment on perhaps the ratio of men to women?  I'm going to assume it was a pretty conclusive majority for the women.  Also how many would you say were at the orientation session?

As you can see, I like to analyze things to death.

To be honest I'm seeing the orientation session being somewhat redundant for me as the information aspect is nothing new to me, and transportation is sure a pain in the butt for me to get as if I go through ODSP they NEVER seem to fax over approval to the transportation company, which screws me royally.  I still have not heard back from ODSP like I asked.  Hopefully my mom is not working and will be nice enough to take me.

Honestly though I should inquire about my dad coming as I honestly thing he should consider bariatric surgery.  He says he needs to lose weight due to the beginning stages of heart disease, however I heard Mandarin, his McDonald's happy meal (won't even give you the gory details), giant steaks with all the fixings, and a few cupcakes were on his menu last week.  He is not huge, but I have like 150lbs on him and he sweats more than I do!  Age and smoking might play a small role in that, but still.

Anyway...I interested to see how this potential battle might play out for me.  I don't see getting approval for the second portion of a DS handed to me on a silver platter, regardless of the stance Ontario surgeons have on it now.  

I do believe Sam1am was angel the last time around.  I think my mom gave her a call?  Or perhaps sent an email.  I've never actually spoken with her on the phone...because I'lm a little chicken **** lol.

App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)

sam1am
on 6/11/11 11:24 pm
I don't have an answer but I wanted to say hello, nice to see you back!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Leslie W.
on 6/11/11 11:43 pm - Cobourg, Canada
I agree with Laurie, the initial information session is just that information. You get an overview of RNY, see a power point presentation and they answer any questions you have. It is also a chance to meet others going through the procedure at the same time as you.

The session I went to last month at TWH lasted about 1 1/2 hr very few questions asked and I left with my first 2 appointments, YEAH!

They will give you a copy of the presentation and a food log, nutrition questionnaire  to complete as well as a bunch of psychological questionnaires to complete

Welcome back and good luck

Leslie

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
sam1am
on 6/12/11 2:43 am
Leslie,

FYI, Jeff has had the first stage of the DS (a VSG) done and is working toward the switch part of the DS.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Jeff Z.
on 6/12/11 4:25 pm - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 So they want to see if I am as crazy as I was the last time...this should be fun, lol.

Perhaps some people will strike up a conversation with me, because I know I won't.  I prefer when others initiate.

From what I've seen posted by others, the follow-up appointments are relatively close to your orientation session?  A couple to few weeks following the orientation if I'm not mistaken?

Thanks for the response as well Leslie!

Leslie W.
on 6/13/11 8:11 am - Cobourg, Canada
Seems to be with TWH. Every site is different. I keep hoping I can get into  a cancellation for the SW. Getting hard to wait.
 I think the waiting is the worse part.
Leslie

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
(deactivated member)
on 6/13/11 10:02 am - Canada
 I just wanted to note that Im heading for the orentation at Toronto Western in a few weeks. I can take notes and email them to you? 
Jeff Z.
on 6/13/11 10:12 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 I will be going to an orientation on Wednesday, but I appreciate this offer nonetheless. 

Most Active
Recent Topics