Trying a new coping strategy

Mike Terry
on 6/23/11 8:58 am - Staffa, Canada
  After a long and painfull process, decided I'm going to put my 13 year old pug to sleep tommorow. Best dog I ever had, wife gave her to me for my 30th birthday. It is the first time since my surgery I really wanted to self-medicate myself with a trip to Dairy Queen or the burger stand. Not use to letting myself FEEL this kind of sadness or share it for that matter.

missingmanny
on 6/23/11 9:09 am - Canada
I love a man who lets himself feel....So sorry for your loss...feeling that loss will help you heal....

HW 268  SW 261  CW 166GW 170 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com    

Rachel O.
on 6/23/11 9:09 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 03/02/12
 Oh Mike I am so sorry to hear this. I know the feeling.  It's not an easy thing to deal with. They are like our children.  I cry every time I hear of someone having to be put in that situation. *hugs*
(deactivated member)
on 6/23/11 9:12 am - Canada
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Anyone who has pets knows what you're going through. Losing them is like losing a member of your family. I have 3 dogs and I know I'd be devastated if I had to put any of them down. I had to make that decision a few years ago and it was the hardest thing ever.

Let yourself mourn. Cry, be sad, feel the loss. We're all here with you and for you.
happypants
on 6/23/11 9:19 am - Ottawa, Canada
Mike I so understand what you are going through. I am a pet parent of two beautiful dogs. One is a Bichon Frise and the other is a Bichon Maltese mix, six and three years old. They are such a big part of our family, so much so that everything we plan always involves our furry four legged friends.
What you are going through is very painful, there is no denying this  but you would have thought long and hard about this and dont want your best-friend to suffer any longer. Your decision is the most selfless thing you could do for her.
I know that I will be in your place some day, hopefully later than sooner. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family tomorrow and the days to fallow.

Lots of Hugs and thoughts
Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Quinns_mommy
on 6/23/11 9:38 am
We just lost our family dog of 14 years (I was 12 when we got him) 3 weeks ago - so sorry you've got to go through this.

Good for you for being aware of your (old) behaviours.

Hugs to the pooch!

My angels are sam1am and Joyce J. :)  
PatXYZ
on 6/23/11 9:52 am
I'm so sorry to hear this Mike. I am also a pet parent and your post brings tears to my eyes. You are making a difficult but ultimately loving decision. I hope you find peace in your choice and allow yourself a time to grieve your loss. If you haven't already, you may wish to take some pictures of the two of you together this evening so you have them as a nice memory to look at and remember her with.
Tracey P.
on 6/23/11 9:57 am - Canada
Mike
I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. Remember we are all here for you.

Tracey

trudylam
on 6/23/11 10:08 am - Sudbury, Canada
I was just going to post a discussion asking people how they cope with things now that food is out of the question.  My grandmother has been ill for the last few months and I just got a call that the end is near.  I am devastated and I want to have a big glass of wine and take a fork to the coconut cream pie that's in the fridge.  I know that I can't do that but I don't know how to deal with things without turning to food.  I think I'll go for a walk to clear my head.  Time to change old habits.  Best of luck Mike.  I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet.  Hang in there. :)
Monica M.
on 6/23/11 10:54 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
we lost our 8 yr old Jack Russel the day before mother's day. The feelings i had were immense. I'm so sorry for this decision that you have to make. My condolences.

you can get through this. Dairy Queen won't replace your pug... Feel the pain. it's ok.

Most Active
Recent Topics