Hpylori

Joanne J.
on 6/30/11 3:03 am - Canada
Hi all,

I have been tested positive for h pylori i actually asked my GP to do it even though humber never advise me to all they ask for was sleep apnea and found out i was moderate..Now am being treated for pylori..I wonder what my bariatric doctor would say has anyone gone ahead and did test if they wasn't ask to do? and should i take results to him..
Just wondering,

J

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/11 3:48 am - Canada
1) Most bariatric clinics test for h pylori automatically - it is done through the blood work and if they do a gastroscopy, they take biopsy samples while they're down there.

2) Get treated and retested BEFORE surgery.  As someone who tested positive on one out of seven samples and wasn't treated, later developing a gastric bleed which put me in the hospital longer than I was for my surgery.  Plus the treatment post surgery is also hard on the stomach due to the nature of the antibiotics you have to take...
Joanne J.
on 6/30/11 10:27 am - Canada
Well last week i went to see the internist and he only ask about sleep apnea and since mines was not bad then they were going to go ahead and give me surgery date so and also i was ask if had blood work done before by my gp but she did but was a while ago not sure why they didnt have me done another set but i saw my gp after and ask her to do that anyways..i will take it to my bariatric surgeron on the 5th when i  go and see him see what he says

Thanks for your input and am glad i did it.

Radiogirl39
on 6/30/11 9:10 am - Canada
Definately!  You need to get treated before surgery or you will very likely have complications at some point after. And I am so glad you posted because I am going to make sure I get tested since I am going through HRRH too.  Pretty sure I will test positive since I had ulcers when I was younger and although they have healed, I was never actually treated for the helicobacter pylori bacteria that cause them.
Joanne J.
on 6/30/11 10:33 am - Canada
Yes thanks.
and a few years back i suffer from acid reflux to and got treated with ranitidine and it went away but i still feel i have an ulcer or something but no real symptoms..i also went ahead and ask my doctor to do a scope just to make sure of my esophegous..
my doctor also told me that they dont usually routinely do pylori test but in my case since am doing surgery she will do it for me ,,i wonder how much ppl probaly have this and dont know hmm.
am glad i did and after i finish treatment ill have them retest me.

Im glad also you going to get tested we all have to look after ourselves we the ones only know our bodies.
J

Jennifer D.
on 6/30/11 9:13 am
As said, the positive identification will put your surgery on hold until you test negative but also as said, it will make your surgery go more smoothly. Good for you for taking intitative to do that!
Joanne J.
on 6/30/11 10:37 am - Canada
Thanks jennifer am glad i did to.

Most Active
Recent Topics