Pomona's Pectin

onikenbai
on 7/1/11 1:32 pm - Canada
It's jamming season again .  Regular pectin won't set without a good chunk of sugar and even the Certo low sugar still has sugar, but Pomona's is advertised as calcium activated and doesn't require any sugar at all.  It also allows you to use agave nectar or stevia as alternatives.  That means home made NSA jam that will actually set!  Anybody ever tried the Pomona's?  I don't want to hunt this stuff down or order it by mail just to find out it doesn't work all that well.

Donnaslifepart2
on 7/2/11 10:56 pm - Canada
I haven't tried it. I have a freezer container full of Nanking cherries which I have been picking from our bushes as they ripen.  I plan to make NSA jelly by adding a couple of roughly chopped apples to the berries as they boil.  I will then add a box of Certo no sugar required pectin for insurance and sweeten the works with Splenda.  I have faith that the apples and pectin will set this jelly right up.
mamaty
on 7/3/11 3:59 am
I am anxious to know this as well as I just finished making a ton of normal jam and would really like to make some sugar free jam for myself. If anyone tries it let me know too..

Take Care

Erin

onikenbai
on 7/3/11 10:56 am - Canada
Contacted the low-carb grocery about it and they don't carry it now, but are going to look into sourcing it.

foodchem
on 12/7/11 11:52 am
Pectin in China called "果胶". It can used as a food thickener. Foodchem.com is a food additives supplier. Pectin

Most Active
Recent Topics