A guys night out and/or rural area club?

Mike Terry
on 7/6/11 10:53 am - Staffa, Canada
   I have lived my entire life up until now in big cities state side. I moved to Rural Canada 3 years ago, and how do I put this.......

I'm GOING NUCKING FUTZ!!!!! Like Jack Nicholson in the Shinning, nuts!! I don't know if it is my advanced age, 43, my new life style changes, culture difference, or what? For the first time in my life I feel isolated and have a hard time connecting to people, especially guys?

I've always thought of myself as a guy's guy. I love team sports,  watching and playing. I like talking about women, farting, all the atypical "guy stuff" In addition I love "geeky" stuff like playing Massive Multiplayer RPG's on the computer. Video Games, Comic books, fantasy/sci fi, trippy conspiracy theory stuff. One of my favorite fun things to do was meeting with my friends and my dad in Kansas City every Wednesday morning for breakfast and talking about the local sports teams, Battle-star Galactica, Lost, Heroes, movies, hot women, World of Warcraft etc.

Maybe that is part of my problem all my favorite shows are canceled, ha ha. Anyways here is what I'm thinking about doing.....

I'm thinking about posting every time I'm thinking of doing something like see A CFL game in Hamilton or Toronto, London Knights, Detroit Redwings/Tigers/Lions and see if I get anybody else interested in joining me. Doesn't have to be a dude of course, but like I said this is atypical "dude" stuff. Maybe Comic Book conventions, bowling, poker tournaments, etc. too.

Also I think I'm going to post when I plan on getting a coffee in Exeter or Mitchell some nights and see if anyone wants to join.

Sorry for the long post, any feedback is welcomed!!

northernlight
on 7/6/11 12:27 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hiya Mike!

I'm glad to hear that you're full of beans & ready for fun - sounds great for you, but, rural Canada might present a problem - yep, indeed! Now, is there an online group that you could join for some of your interests, like the Comic Book stuff or fantasy/sci-fi/video stuff & you guys could arrange regular get-togethers (maybe you're way ahead of me & already do this).  It's hard when you're not in the "big city" environment. Hey, maybe we could partition the Lost guys to bring back the show - don't know about you, but that ending just didn't work for me.....Anyway, just wanted to throw out my thoughts to you, Mike! Hope you manage to find a solution so that you don't go too nutz!

Deb

Mike Terry
on 7/6/11 10:24 pm - Staffa, Canada
  I don't know, just seems to kind of reinforce my feeling that I don't fit in. Keep putting myself out there.

Eileen C.
on 7/6/11 2:16 pm - Cornwall, Canada
HI Mike

I am sure that if you post with a heading like "Coffee Anyone????"

and put in a time and place in your note, someone online and nearby will respond if they are available and interested in getting out sometime LOL

Take care and can certainly understand your feeling of climbing the walls with boredom, will soon be in the same position when my job ends at the end of the month           LOL

Will have to set up some kind of routine to keep myself busy and prevent the boredom until I can find another job or whatever LOL

Take care

Eileen 
            my angel is Lisa48                                        
TraceyM45
on 7/6/11 10:26 pm
When I moved to the area I live now I didn't know anyone.  I met a couple of people through work, joined a Monday night volleyball league where they asign you to a team or you can play pick up,  I met a couple more there, then I joined a ball team and each season I tried something different even took night class in things that interested me.  Eventually I made some really close friends and have met a lot of nice people.  Coming from the outside to a small area it doesn't seem to matter how long you are there you still are not "local". 

I don't know if you are married but perhaps you and your wife or partner could invite couples over for dinner/bbq,  you have kids so perhaps parents of their friends, if they are in activities? 

The isolation feeling is tough to deal with, but you seem to be an open guy and just putting yourself out there I'm sure you'll meet some good people. 

You always have your OH friends to talk to!

Tracey

Karen M.
on 7/6/11 10:46 pm - Mississauga, Canada
I think posting is a great idea!  I'm not a guy - but I love "guy stuff/events". LOL 

I liked the idea of the previous poster about joining a club or team.  Maybe even look into doing some volunteer work?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Jeff Z.
on 7/6/11 11:54 pm - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
Posting from my cell phone in the St. Joe's waiting room, so I will keep it brief, but I just wanted to say...

You had me at World of Warcraft, lol!

Sent from my Android device

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

Mike Terry
on 7/7/11 4:31 am - Staffa, Canada
  Awesome man!! Yeah, I originally started out playing EQ for 4 years, City of Heroes for another year, then WoW for countless years. I'm currently playing Rift till KoToR Online comes out in a couple of months. I try out anything MMO thast comes out, and can easily be talked into playing any of my old haunts if someone wants to play with me. Well not even play, I just like someone to talk to while I play more times than not. I also have a 360 and a PS3, just food for thought. If we can hook up in the cyber world, I'm down with that!

Jeff Z.
on 7/7/11 5:23 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 I've been playing WoW since December 2004 (just over a month after the launch).  I think there has maybe been a month or two where I did not have an active subscription, which can be seen as a little sad perhaps, lol.

I also got Rift during the Father's Day sale and am undecided on it.  A couple WoW friends switched to that for the time being, but I'm so used to WoW and I GUESS having stuff watered down and literally handed to me that Rift is a a more challenging game.

I too am waiting for KotOR to come out.  Former raid leader/guild leader of my current guild actually works for Bioware on something to do with KotOR.  He has taken a break from WoW now, so I'm not sure a beta key will be coming my way, heh.

I have a 360, but besides COD I rarely play it simply because I don't have anyone who plays the same games I'd be interested in grabbing for it.

If you're into online fantasy sports there is another avenue.  I'm quite competitive in those.

And movies is probably my biggest passion and I can go on and on for hours about that (and hockey).

I took in three Jays games over the Canada Day weekend, which was a first for me in at least a decade.  And I finally got to see them win while in the stands!  I'm hoping to get out to a Leafs game this season if possible.  And on the car ride home from Hamilton I was thinking whether it would be possible to catch a Jays game at Fenway.

At any rate...we seem to share quite a few similar interests.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/11 12:17 am
Hey Mike,
My daughter and grandchildren are leaving in a couple weeks and then I am free as a bird. I will meet you in Goderich for coffee. Since they are with me 24/7 I don't get out much without them.

Perhaps Ann R can come too and she can give you hints as to the Exeter area where to connect.

Have you thought about getting involved in minor hockey around your area? I have friends who have been involved in the Exeter hockey for about 20 years.

My 18 yo son and my 28 yo daughter are WOW enthusiasts and I know how to look interested in their discussion but really don't have a clue

Post for sure on things you want to do because you might just get someone to join in.
Most Active
Recent Topics