Hernia Repaired: check.

Jennifer H.
on 7/28/11 3:51 am - Sudbury, Canada

Hey

I haven't posted in a while but I thought I'd bring you up to speed on my journey. I had developed a hernia in December 2010 and it grew and grew, but when I consulted a surgeon about repair, he didn't want to do it until after my previous incision was all healed up. So that healed in May (2 weeks shy of being an entire year to heal that mother-trucker) and I scheduled my surgery for a few days after our famiy vacation was over - July 7th. I didn't want to be prevented from swimming at the cottage we rented for the last week of June. Anyway, the surgery went okay, and I'm recovering without complication so far. Today is 3 weeks since I had it done. I stayed in the hospital for 4 days afterwards. Dr Snider here in Sudbury performed my "massive hernia repair" as it said on my chart. Massive. The mesh he told me is 12" X 8". I have a lot of pain on the two sides as it pulls, and even percocets can't take it all away when I'm standing or walking. I'm almost completely fine when I'm lying down, or reclined. Shopping trips have to be very brief or I must use a wheelchair if the store's got one. Some even have motorized scooters, which are a lot of fun, I must say LOL. My drain is still in, and I'm seeing the surgeon weekly to check on it. Hopefully it will come out next week, but I don't want it out prematurely! It doesn't bother me, and I'd rather have the inconvenience and sometimes gross stuff (when the stuff clots a bit) than the chance that fluid stays inside and gets infected. I have had enough of THAT last time, thank you very much!

Anyway just wondering how many others have had hernias repaired and how long until the mesh stopped hurting? I know SuperGirl had one.. I'll have to look her up to ask.

Take care,
Jennifer

HW 441, SW 401, GW 200 B Positive. It's not just my blood type.        
sam1am
on 7/28/11 5:09 am
Sorry you had to go through that!  Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Jennifer H.
on 7/28/11 8:27 am - Sudbury, Canada
Thanks! Cute kitten.
(deactivated member)
on 7/28/11 6:50 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I've had 3 repairs done and the last one they ripped out all the old mesh and redid my whole stomach in mesh.  I never experienced any pain at all with any of them.
Jennifer H.
on 7/28/11 8:26 am - Sudbury, Canada
Oh crap! But at least they didn't hurt you, I'm glad to hear! When was the last surgery? Did they say anything about after you've lost all your weight, and how it might affect plastic surgery for skin removal? I was thinking about that today, but haven't asked my surgeon about it yet.. Now that it's too late.. not that it would've changed my mind about having it done.
(deactivated member)
on 7/28/11 8:43 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I had my last one done when I had my tummy tuck done.  The PS didn't seem too concerned that I had 2 previous repairs done prior to WLS.
Most Active
Recent Topics