St. Joe's yesterday

Jeff Z.
on 8/23/11 6:32 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 Yesterday was my appointment with the internist at St. Joe's and I guess one of the last hoops I was going to have to jump through.

Besides being nervous about how late I was going to be as traffic was just nuts yesterday and the driver I had was a little loopy.  He actually hopped out after I got in and took **** on the lawn of my apartment complex.  I really hope no one saw, because gossip runs through this place like a wildfire.  And then rather than staying on the 401 he went racing over to the DVP, which seem worse and I believe added 20 minutes to the final time.  Anyway I got there and checked in about 3-5 minutes late.  It certainly showed when my blood pressure was taken, lol.

Anyway some of my vitamin levels were quite low so I was given a new regiment (unfortunately I didn't really have proper post-op care).  B12, D and Calcium were the main culprits.

Was told I was clear to proceed with surgery so that was certainly some good news.  However, now I'm not sure how best to proceed.  Obviously St. Joe's wants me to have surgery with Dr. Hong and they booked me for another meeting with him on September 1st.  I had initially requested Dr. Gagner.  I wondering if I'll have to speak with someone at the Ministry of Health to inquire about this.  I'll likely send an email to the lady who has been kind enough to setup the switch from TWH to St. Joe's, as well as faxing letters that I have drafted to ODSP so that transportation would be covered.

The internist figured 2-4 months before surgery if it was done at St. Joe's.  

At any rate I'm happy with the results of the appointment, but it seemed like such a waste for a 15 minute appointment to spend 4.5 hours traveling too and from.  And then a minimum of $200 for transportation costs (yes, even I hate seeing government money wasted on me), but I digress.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

highlandbear
on 8/23/11 6:44 am - Canada
Glad things went well for you.  Dr Hong is a great doctor if that helps and his bedside manors are just great.  Keep us inform on where you have it. If you do have it at St joes I will come and visit you if you like
Barb
Jeff Z.
on 8/23/11 7:01 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 Thanks Barb.

I'm still unsure to be honest.  I have honestly not researched Dr. Hong, and my only concern is how many lap-DS procedures he has done.  I know it will not be anywhere close to that of Dr. Gagner.

There are pros and cons to either surgeron.

Right now my concern with Dr. Gagner is he already stated he would likely reduce the stomach size again, which is not something that sits well with me.  As I mentioned at the luncheon I'm only recently not feeling the heartburn/reflux anymore and that is without any medication.  Basically the only time I do feel it is if I have not had anything to eat or drink for an extended period of time.  I don't feel I can eat more than I should.  At any rate I'm not going to worry about that as I'll assume my input should hold some weight with the surgical plan (or I could be totally off my rocker thinking like that, lol).

My family is not offering any advice or opinions.  I've tried talking with my mom about it, but I can tell she is not listening.  Since the passing of my grandmother in May I've noticed how distanced I am with everyone but my grandfather (he is also a black sheep of the family in his mind), so I haven't really bothered to include either of my parents.

App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)

highlandbear
on 8/23/11 12:23 pm - Canada
I am sorry that your family is not there for you. If you do have it in Hamilton I will be there for you. I promise. I will come the day of the operation if not to early before if you like also depends on time and my work but I will come up. I don't mind. Like I said let me know and that is if you have it in Hamilton.
PatXYZ
on 8/23/11 7:20 am
Hi Jeff,

congrats on completing your hoop jumping! I think the best way to handle this is a frank talk with Dr. Hong. I know this is easier said than done, so I encourage you to write down your questions and concerns ahead of time and take them to your appointment. I can't remember if you've already been approved for DS or if that is what your surgical consult is for? If you're not yet approved and need any supportive research, just let me know and I'd be happy to send you some. If you are approved and the main question to sort out now is which surgeon is going to perform it I'd prepare a list of questions something like this:
How many DS procedures have you done?/How frequently do you now perform the DS?
How many were done open vs. lap?
What is your rate of serious complications?
Are you comfortable leaving my (VSG) stomach at its current size?
Plus any questions that relate to any of your own special concerns or health issues.

If you are unhappy with any of the answers, tell him you would be more comfortable with a surgeon who primarily performs the DS and would like a referral to Dr. Gagner. If everything he says puts your mind at ease, then go ahead with Dr. Hong.

I am also pursuing a DS, hopefully with Gagner, but if Dr. Hong is willing to do it and I don't have any concerns after our meeting, I'd let him do it.

NurseTammy
on 8/23/11 8:25 am - Hamilton, Canada
Dr. Hong is a great surgeon.  Even though there was a complication (He nicked my spleen which led to blood loss requiring tons of blood transfusions), but I went into it knowing I was a case with a lot of potential issues.  He removed my lap band, which was encapsulated with scar tissue, scraped off tons of keloid scaring and then was able to do the RNY. 
He checked on me every day and made sure that my blood levels were kept up above 100 after each transfusions - and even came in on the Saturday that I was discharged to make sure I felt okay to leave, then told me that if ANYTHING came up, to go straight to the ER and he and his resident guy would come in and see me.  His resident (I can't remember his name) was great as well. 
Despite the few set backs and the length of stay (I was hoping to leave the Wednesday after having surgery on Tuesday morning), I don't regret a thing.  I am lose weight and even though I am still recovering, I am so glad I had him as a surgeon - I do believe that I would have lost my spleen if it was another surgeon.  He has done SOOOO many conversions.
Tammy
328 - Highest Weight
305 - Surgery Weight- July 26th, 2011

Jeff Z.
on 8/23/11 9:01 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 Thanks for your input Tammy.  I'm glad to hear Dr. Hong went above and beyond what I would expect of many surgeons after your surgery to make sure you were doing well considering how serious of a situation you were in.

At this point I'm honestly open to either surgeon.  Hopefully Dr. Hong will go over the resultsof the Upper GI I did a few weeks back and give me his off the cuff surgical approach.  He didn't seem to mind the size of my stomach that my previous surgeon made, but who knows what his opinion will be once he sees what sort of stretching has occurred in the nearly two years I've been post-op.

However now my thoughts are turning to "what if this becomes open surgery...".  I knew there was a chance of that happening when I had my VSG, however this time around I have absolutely no family to help post-operatively.

I'll see what he says and then see what Dr. Gagner has in mind and make an informed decision.  

I take it things for you are going better?  I've seen a couple of your posts and glanced through them (unfortunately my memory these days is rather poor).  

NurseTammy
on 8/23/11 2:06 pm - Hamilton, Canada
Dr. Hong told me that he has never had to do any surgery 'Open' .... all I said was I hope I wasn't his first.  LOL.  I don't know if that helps or hurts! 

Also, I have had four surgeries in the past eight years, and my stomach is a road map of scarring, including a full tummy tuck that had me cut open almost all the way around my hips, then up to my sternum.
Tammy
328 - Highest Weight
305 - Surgery Weight- July 26th, 2011

sam1am
on 8/23/11 10:25 pm
Hey Jeff,

I'm glad to hear that the hoops are almost all jumped.  Hopefully you can get the surgeon of your choice, I'm sure they are both excellent.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics