For the ladies only

A T.
on 9/11/11 5:49 am - Hamilton, Canada
 Hi

Since I was told I can't be on birth control any more the doctor told me I can go on
Mirena IUD

Has any one else used this form of birth control and did you gain weight from it

Thanks
Allison

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 6:59 am, edited 9/10/11 7:01 pm - Guelph, Canada
I know a boat load of pple hat have had the Mirena in and LOVE IT.. there are a lot here that havd had it done too...

personally I dont like the "what if".. "when" (unexpected periods and spotting) about it... I do know of only 2 people who have had it removed because of side affects and I know 20+ who have it.. and I am sure there are many more I dont even know about..

no one I know complained about weight gain.. it was more headaches and one because of depression.. she was fine after they removed it
huggers33
on 9/11/11 7:10 am - Windsor, Canada
Have you looked into the depo pravara shot?  I am on it, and I can stay on it afterwards.  Not everyone gains weight on it.  I was able to maintain my weight, by watching what I ate, and exercising for the month afterwards. 
Leslie W.
on 9/11/11 11:09 am - Cobourg, Canada
depo has it's own list of side effects such as osteoporosis. So speak with your MD as they can review the risk with you

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Catnip
on 9/11/11 7:51 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Can i mqke a suggestion?

Use a non-hormonal IUD.

As a new post up you already have alot of extra hormones being released into your body from the fat you are losing.  You don't need to add more to the mix.

Go non hormonal, just as effective.

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

A T.
on 9/11/11 12:20 pm - Hamilton, Canada
 Hi

Which one is non hormonal?

Catnip
on 9/11/11 12:54 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 Mirena i hormonal,  just tell them you want a non-hormonal one.  

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

trudylam
on 9/12/11 4:32 am - Sudbury, Canada
I have had my Mirena for 3 years and it's been a godsend.  I gained weight but it had nothing to do with the Mirena.  It's helped to completely get rid of my endometriosis (at least the pain from it) and lightened up my flow immensely.  Post op your hormones are going to go crazy and your periods will probably change for a while, but the hormone from a mirena is delivered directly to your uterus and doesn't enter your bloodstream.  It's progesterone that it releases in very small doses so it will not have the same effect as depo or the pill.  I have a girlfriend that just had her non-hormonal IUD removed because it increased the flow, pain and duration of her periods.  That's not to say that it happens to everyone but it is a potential side effect of the non-hormonal type.  Talk to your doctor and whatever you do, don't read up about it on the internet.  I was reading message boards and stuff about the mirena and they are full of horror stories because no one ever posts when they aren't having a problem.  It's a great alternative for alot of people. :)  Best of luck with your decision.
http://www.womens-health.co.uk/mirena.asp

Most Active
Recent Topics