Portion size per meal

evelynmary
on 9/22/11 1:27 pm - Barrie, Canada
How do you know what quantity of food to have per meal snack etc.  For example, should breakfast total 2 cups or a certain number of calories or both?  I know the what to eat, just unsure about the how much.
Lori

JJ_
on 9/22/11 5:14 pm
Hi Lori,

I imagine that you have had surgery.  Which one did you have?  How far are you out from surgery?

I am still pre-op, but in order for others to respond, they will need to know the answers to these questions.

Good luck!

Judy
Leslie W.
on 9/22/11 6:16 pm - Cobourg, Canada
2 cups?????
Just getting ready for surgery but by the time you are back to regular food a cup is what you are looking at.
60-80 gm of protein
An example from TWH  for week 4-8
Brakfast: 1/4/c ricotta cheese, 1/4  SF canned peach, 1 tbsp bran flakes
Dinner: 2 oz chicken, 1/4 mash potato, 2 tbsp veg

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
evelynmary
on 9/22/11 8:50 pm - Barrie, Canada
I had surgery April 6/11, RNY. 2 cups was a random number. So 1 cup is what I am looking for. Thanks
Lisa_Toronto
on 9/22/11 9:52 pm - Toronto, Canada
 Careful; I'm 10 months out and still can't eat 1 cup.  I have 3/4 cup max at one sitting.  At your distance out I would have been eating 1/2 cup MAX.  Obviously do what feels right for your stomach, but maybe also check with your dietician.

weight loss includes 25 lbs before optifast         
Karen M.
on 9/22/11 10:49 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Completely agree.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Eileen C.
on 9/22/11 10:39 pm - Cornwall, Canada
Hi Evelynmary 

Congrats on the first step of your weight loss journey by having the surgery.

Second step is understanding the limitations of the surgery, your weight loss centre or surgeron's

staff should have given you all the info you need for food amounts etc

Third have you joined any kind of support group in your area, having joined this board is great and has
great advice, but it is not the same as your surgeron's office staff, support group meetings etc., your

surgeron's office should be able to give you contact info on a support group in your area

I have had two separate support groups that I have attended meetings,(which have been a lifesaver

etc in the wealth of support and info, before and after surgery) in Nepean, Ontario and another one in

my home town, and have recently joined another support group for patients that are 18 +months out

from surgery for maintenance and further support etc as well as OH website, which has been great.

The members on this board are fantastic and very welcoming

Take care and continued success wished for you on your weight loss journey

Eileen

my angel is Lisa48                                        
Monica M.
on 9/22/11 10:55 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
calories/protein/carbs and the amount of food you eat is all important.

about1/2 to 3/4 of a cup is what you should be limiting yourself to, at one sitting.

the dietitian should have told you what your protein goal is for the day.

look_out_world
on 9/23/11 1:28 am - Canada
 WOW I think I really need to reassess the way I've been eating and start from the beginning again.   Obviously I'm eating wayyyy too much!! 

John A.
on 9/23/11 3:13 am - Cambridge, Canada
I would have been eating 1/2 to 3/4 quarter cup at your stage.. Now 1.5 years out and still only manage about a cup of food.
J

Most Active
Recent Topics