Life after Stricture Repair

Allyson A.
on 10/7/11 5:22 am - Seeleys Bay, Canada
Hi All,

Just a quick update since I had my stricture repair on the 26th September.  It seems weird now to all of a sudden be eating and having things stay put for the most part.

I think because of the problems with the 2 strictures I had and having to be on fluids for close to 2 months that it now feels like I am eating way too much.  But  that is just in my head. (lol)  While tracking my food on fitday.com I am well within the parameters set out by the clinic.  It just seems that way.

I am although still having quite a bit of gas (belching constantly).  It was suggested that I decrease the pressure in my cpap.  It worked a bit but I now no longer require the use of my cpap (yaaaaaaaay!)  I have also been staying away from foods that I know cause gas.  I will be bringing this up with Dr. Klein when I see him on the 19th as well as with the dietician.  Does or has anybody else had this problem with excessive belching?

I thought that I might be getting too much air from the water bottle I use, and changed it to a camelbak but that hasn't changed anything. 

Anybody out there with any suggestions on what else I could try.

On another note, I tried to go back to work this week and work has decided that I am not quite ready and want me to wait till after my visit with Dr. Klein.  Hopefully I will be going back soon as I am going stir crazy.

Allyson

HW 318  SW 291 

Radiogirl39
on 10/7/11 6:54 am - Canada
What a relief you must be feeling!  So glad you are feeling better.  And double YAY about the CPAP!  Can't wait to be free of that thing.

Julie

Megan M.
on 10/7/11 7:18 am - Canada
I am absolutely amazed at the belching I can do!  How can that tiny little pouch push so much air?  I could win a contest.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

CanDoItFour
on 10/7/11 7:26 am - Canada
Hi Allyson

So good to hear that you're moving forward and that the strictures are hopefully a thing of the past. 

I had trouble with gas / belching at first too, and after checking with the clinic I tried GAS-X which seems to be popular choice here - in fact that's where I got the idea and then confirmed it was OK with the clinic. 

As for the water, TWH recommended that we use cups / glasses early out because you do swallow much more air if you drink from a straw or small mouthed container. 

And yes - it has cleared up completely, although on the rare times I do burp it's a signal that I've eaten too fast, or my pouch is full.  I think of it as a STOP sign now.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Claire

Surgery Feb 11, 2011
HW 348
CW199
Allyson A.
on 10/7/11 7:48 am - Seeleys Bay, Canada
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.  I will try drinking out of a glass when I am at home and see if that helps any.  It is just unbelievable the amount of belching I can do with an empty stomach.  Even first thing in the morning and it will go on for hours. 

I am not sure how the GasX would help as I don't seem to have a problem moving the gas, just that it goes on forever.   I will try it and see if it helps.   I have only used the GasX when I was having a problem belching.

Thanx again

Allyson

HW 318  SW 291 

nofries4you
on 10/9/11 9:47 pm - Canada
Hey Lady

I was wondering how you were doing since your stricture repair..........it must feel weird not throwing up........you are definitely a trooper...............

Wanna go for coffee or tea or something soon?

Sue

Moselle
on 10/7/11 8:56 am - Athens, Canada
Glad to hear that you are feeling much better and finally back to eating real food.  Enjoy your extended vacation from work at least the weather is nice.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Jennifer D.
on 10/9/11 11:12 pm
Hi Allyson, I am happy to hear that you can begin eating! For me any carbs make me acidy/burpy. A lot of the foods allowed in the initial eating stages are fairly carb laiden (sp?). You may also be experiencing a new issue with wheat/gluten.

What do you do for work Allyson? I wish my job had said you're not ready. I am experiencing quite a bit of fatigue now, think I went back too early.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
Most Active
Recent Topics