Never thought I would have this problem! Warning!! Long!!

Mike Terry
on 10/11/11 6:54 am - Staffa, Canada
     I haven't posted in a long time, as I have been struggling. I made a post awhile back ago asking what if you want to stop losing or actually want to gain some weight back? I received some feedback from some of the people that like to moderate this board, which I appreciate most of the time, wanting to know if I was advocating eating more. That was a pretty big leap to me, to take from my words, but nonetheless it was said to protect, I get it.

If someone can gain from me relating my experience, awesome. If someone can relate their experience and I can gain knowledge from it, I would be most appreciative. Here is my weight loss journey so far. I lost 80 pounds pre-surgery, whi*****luded my huge lost while on 3 weeks of opti. I lost 75 pounds on the clear and full liquid and regular post op stages of the diet. I was put on the last phase of the diet early because where I was with my weight loss and exercise and lost a additional 50 pounds.

This is when I made my original post of my concern, that I had lost 50 pounds on the MAINTENANCE diet and I was under my personal goal by 15 pounds and my surgeon's goal by 10 pounds. I had a Nut/Nurse/Surgeon date days after, and it was agreed that I was to add extra protein to my diet and start making some slightly higher caloric and  healthy fat choices to my diet. My weight stabilized for the longest on this diet and then dropped again another 18 pounds.

I'm down to 218 pounds on my 6 foot 4 inch frame. I feel great, which I will always be grateful!! I'm still in a healthy range, and as long as I'm healthy that is what I care about. With that said I'm dealing with people around me suggesting that maybe I'm too skinny, and worst of all my own psyche.

I was seen early by the dietitian to follow up on this matter, luck would have it my surgeon was there that day too. I am scheduled to have my Hernia repaired on the 28th. Because of my recent weight lost, they are being careful and ordered my 1 year blood work early, which I did today. My surgeon also said she has concerns for doing my surgery if I don't at least maintain my weight if not gain a couple, god bless her!! I was told to add protein shakes and powder into my diet. I all ready eat 3 ounces of meat with my lunch and dinner by the way. I feel like a stuffed cushion all the time these days!!

I have a dietitian follow up on Thursday, surgeon follow up on next Tuesday, which I will bring my blood results with me hopefully, and then pre surgery nurse appointment next Friday. Wish me luck!!!

By the way I know a lot of people are struggling to reach their weight loss goals, trust me I can empathize!! Part of the reason I have been dormant on this board is I feel guilty after struggling so long with my weight to actually be nervous about losing too much!!

royses1066
on 10/11/11 7:13 am
Hi Mike!
Sorry to hear about your worries, and I hear you loud and clear.  Ultra malabsorption was one of my concerns I asked the surgeon about at my initial meeting.  Mentally, I know you are used to being a large guy so try to get more comfortable with the idea of having a "wide receiver" physique rather than a "lineman".  Hopefully you will naturally level off at +1-1&1/2 years.
I would agree protein will be your best friend.  Ask your dietician if Creatine is safe for you, I know some lifters use it to bulk up and gain muscle mass. I bet the weight room will be your ally if you want to maintain some lean mass as well. (Sure you know this, just sayin').
Check out the profile of "jhick74" and he might be able to give you some tips.
Good luck with the hernia repair and fingers crossed your bloodwork is okay.  Don't let anyone bring you down, if you feel good damn what others will say about your size.
All the best, talk to you soon.
Roy

Mike Terry
on 10/11/11 10:30 am - Staffa, Canada
   Thanks Roy, and good luck on your forthcoming surgery!!! My little knowledge of Creatine is that they were wanting to outlaw it in the states at one time because it was dehydrating people that were using it, specifically teen athletes. If I am right on this, I would think it would be doubly dangerous for us post op, as some of us struggle to get our fluids in as is. Thanks though I have thought of this too.
   About a month ago I shut down my regular schedule of cardio biking. Will pick it back up when I get everything under control and my hernia is rehabilitated. I do have the bug to get back into the weight room, but again it wouldn't be practical right now with my surgery and recovery forthcoming to invest in a membership or my own weights.

Monica M.
on 10/11/11 10:46 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

I've been thinking about you, Mike, and your difficulties with your body image. I think that you probably need to build some muscle mass. Your description of your arms and legs sounds like you're lacking muscle definitiion. Weight training probably will help your self esteem, and help you look like the man you used to know.

BMI measurements don't necessarily define a healthy weight, it sounds like at 290, you were pretty healthy and strong (not suggesting you go back to that weight, 218 might be better for you). Once you can get back to weight training, i think you'll like yourself better.

Monica M.
on 10/11/11 7:20 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
thank you for posting this, Mike. I've read about other people having this problem too. I'm glad that you went to your WLS team to ask them about it, and that you're having bloodwork done.

At this stage, i'm still worried about not losing enough, and i honestly can't quite imagine worrying about being too thin. I hope that i'm as sensible as you are, and seek the right kind of help if that happens to me.

I hope things work out well for you.

JennR
on 10/11/11 8:24 am
okay I know that the height/weight charts that are out there are not accurate but by them a 6'4" man could weight from 162-207 lbs depending on frame size so I don't know that 218 is too skinny. I'm sure people that have seen you when you were heavier are just so struck by the change that by comparison you do seem very skinny. I think as long as you feel good and your blood work is good then you are doing fabulous!! Good luck with your hernia repair.

sam1am
on 10/11/11 9:07 am
I'm not sure that I understand your first paragraph, but if I do, I hope you get better advice this time!

It sounds tall and slim to me, but by my calculation your bmi is 26.4 which still puts you overweight??   

If you are feeling good, and from your pics you are looking good, I wouldn't worry about what others have to say.  I'm sure it's only the big change that has people making comments and they will get use to it.  I was always told to add, avocado's and nuts with healthy fat to increase calories if \i ever felt the need.

All the best!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Mike Terry
on 10/11/11 9:44 am, edited 10/11/11 9:59 am - Staffa, Canada
       I'm not trying to be cryptic, I felt like I explained my situation the best I can. My major concern that I have addressed the issue with my WLS team and followed what they have said exclusively. There is concern from my surgeon, which of course concerns me. To put BMI into perspective, when I played college football I weighed 290 pounds and my body fat was around 10 percent! No one would say I was over weight back then.

Right or wrong, my body image has been turned upside down in my psyche as I said before. I have always been heavy muscled, my arms and legs look like sticks to me right now. My profile picture was when I was 245, right around my personal goal weight. I weigh 27 pounds lighter now. Like I said I'm dealing with my "own ****" in my head right now, which makes me feel like a selfish a hole when it comes to how I feel physically and where I have come from.

sam1am
on 10/11/11 10:04 am
Mike, I didn't think you were trying to be cryptic.  I totally get what you're saying about putting your bmi into perspective, now that you have explained.  It's all relative and I'm sure your frame alone would skew bmi numbers.  I'm sorry to hear that your body image is a problem for you and being 27 lbs lighter than your last picture, it's hard to say if you look thin now, but for what it's worth, you were looking good then!

Don't ever, ever feel guilty (or like an a hole) about a post like this.  Your worries are real and posting here may give you some ideas on how to make things work better for you.  Not only that, but you may help someone who is too shy to ask that may have a similar worry.

I wish I had a solution for you.  Hopefully, your next appointment will give you some ideas as to if or when you need to take action and what to do.

Take care and keep posting! 

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Jennifer D.
on 10/11/11 9:19 am, edited 10/10/11 10:06 pm
Hi Mike
2 things the DSers use to stop losing weight are the creon digestive enzyme and/or viokase. Creon is a perscription.
Are you getting 90g of protein daily? Working out?
Most Active
Recent Topics