Frustrated...

Jeff Z.
on 11/2/11 10:39 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 Today I received a response to an email I had sent to someone that works with Dr. Gagner regarding pre-op testing, when I might find out a more exact surgery date, etc.

Well in the response I was told on top of all the other tests I would also require a Thallium Stress Test.  Why couldn't they tell me this three weeks ago when I finally received an email outlining the other tests (which I had to request).

Now I have to hope a doctor at a walk-in clinic will be cooperative and provide me with the requisitions I need as I can't get into see my family doctor until November 28th, which I fear would not give me enough time to get all the tests done due to wait times.

If the surgery gets delayed due to this I'm not going to be happy at all, and chances are I'd delay it even further due to other obligations I have.

Time line to show my frustration...

October 3rd: Sent email stating I was approved for surgery and that they should have received a letter to that effect as well.
October 7th: Finally received a response acknowledging the approval.
October 11th: Asked if I would receive any information so I could get all my ducks in a row.
October 13th: Received an email with information and the pre-op tests required.
November 2nd: Told I would also need a stress test.

Honestly I don't see the point of the stress test.  Cleveland did not have me do one.  They did a simple ultrasound of my heart and saw no problems.  I'd have to figure that my heart is in much better shape now then it was when I was over 700lbs.

Granted I am not a doctor...but, I digress.  This is causing much more stress that I need right now to be honest.

Oh and apparently they don't have any of the results from tests I did at St. Joe's, which surprises me.  I would have figured that when I was transferred to Dr. Gagner that my file would have gone too.  This all seems like one big cluster...[expletive deleted]!

Serenity now!

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

PatXYZ
on 11/2/11 10:43 am
Jeff, I'm going through the same medical bureaucracy bull-**** I feel for you. I am also in danger of not getting in on this round of surgery and having to delay until next summer sometime.
sam1am
on 11/2/11 12:28 pm
Very frustrating!  Hopefully you will get the stress test in plenty of time!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Jennifer D.
on 11/2/11 12:37 pm
When you go this route, outside Ontario, you really have to advocate for yourself, to get all the info to Dr. Gagner (I had to fax or mail everything). I realize that you could not have predicted the stress test, I hope you can get that quickly. Have the referring office let them know you have a surgery date. After my own experience, nothing surprises me.
Jeff Z.
on 11/2/11 6:57 pm - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
This is a total 360 of my experience with my previous out of country surgery.  Granted all the pre-op testing in Cleveland was done there prior to the surgery.

This is just one big headache thus far.

I've sent an email to someone at the Ministry of Health Long-Term Care to see if they perhaps can help in any way.  Might as well give it a shot.

At this point though I have no tests completed due to some needing to be done after the 19th of the month, while the two major ones could have significant wait times.

Like I said if I end up being delayed I will have no choice but to delay it further due to other obligations I have coming up that I cannot afford to be recovering from surgery at that time.  It is what it is unfortunately.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

aprilbennett1965
on 11/2/11 1:13 pm - Canada
Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear of all the wrangling you seem to have to be doing for this...I wish you well in getting a walk in doctor to give you the reqs that you need asap.
Surgery ---December 23 with Dr. Yelle!

Brenda T.
on 11/2/11 10:19 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
I hope your ducks start cooperating soon.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

GD6
on 11/3/11 12:57 am - Hamilton, Canada
My friend recently had a revision with Gagner and she got the same run around.  I don't see why they couldn't have told her all at once what tests she would need rather than piecemeal the way they did.
Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

Most Active
Recent Topics