Vitamin K before Surgery

Tammy G.
on 1/6/12 2:11 am - London, Canada
RNY on 01/25/12
My surgery is at TEGH through TWH and I was given a presciption for Vitamin K to lessen any bleeding during surgery and was just wondering if anyone had a hard time trying to find it at their pharmacy?  I finally found some but it was a search.  Also, was yours' sublingual in little ampuales?  They told me that the pill form was no longer available.  Just want to make sure I h are the ave the right stuff.  It says on the box that it can be taken via injections as well, but I think I will grin and bare it and take it under the tongue.  Thanks for your advice everyone, once again you guys are truly a wealth of information!!

Tammy 

trudylam
on 1/6/12 2:15 am - Sudbury, Canada
I got  mine at the pharmacy right in St. Joes and it was a serum.  They gave me 2 little syringes and I had to shoot the serum into the back of my mouth and swallow it with a tiny bit of juice.  I had to do it 7 days and 3 days before my surgery.  Best of luck to you :)

tasha_the_dog
on 1/6/12 2:16 am, edited 1/6/12 2:16 am - Thunder Bay, , Canada
Hi Tammy,
I just got mine yesterday at shoppers. My instructions are to take it with a swallow of orange juice.
That is what was written on the perscription and told to me today by the nurse practitioner at the clinic.
The box I got was the one with the ampoules.
Hope that helps

Jennifer

Referral to Thunder Bay Bariatric Centre July 2010 Orientation Class August 2010
Appointments with dietician, nurse practitioner and psychologist September/November 2010   Ultrasound November 2010
Scope June 10, 2011, meeting with surgeon Nov 29, 2011    surgery  VSG Jan 20/12
Surgeon: Dr. Gmora
HW 287

CW 169

Tammy G.
on 1/6/12 2:25 am - London, Canada
RNY on 01/25/12
 Thanks ladies, it is interesting how each clinic is so different in their instructions.  My instructions are to take one dose 2 weeks prior to surgery and than again 2 days before surgery.

Tammy 

Dianadcr
on 1/6/12 4:17 am - Canada
Got mine yesterday just likeTrudy at st joe's. Good luck during your opti.
(deactivated member)
on 1/6/12 5:13 am - Toronto, Canada
Nobody said anything to be about vitamin K and I"m going through TWH, as well.  My surgery is Jan.18th.  I wonder why no one mentioned this to me?
PatXYZ
on 1/6/12 5:21 am
I think this is surgeon specific, don't worry about it.
Tammy G.
on 1/6/12 5:30 am - London, Canada
RNY on 01/25/12
 Agreed, I have Dr. Aarts, so it just may be her protocol that she does with her patients.

Tammy 

alexforest
on 1/6/12 9:48 am - Canada
i have Dr cyriac at Toronto East, he mentioned nothing to me about that, my pre-op is the 13th and surgery is the 17th, pehaps they'll give me something during pre-op...
Tammy G.
on 1/6/12 9:53 am - London, Canada
RNY on 01/25/12
 That is strange as Dr. Aarts and Dr. Cyriac work as a team and even at my surgeon's appt. Dr. Aarts said it could be either her or Dr. Cyriac who does the surgery.  Not sure why one would do the Vitamin K and why one wouldn't.  I don't have any health concerns that would require the use of Vitamin K either.  Very strange indeed.

Tammy 

Most Active
Recent Topics