What iron do you take and where do you buy it?

Cherry's New
Beginning

on 1/10/12 6:00 am - Cole Harbour, Canada
I called the clinic at HRRH today to get my bloodwork results( since they hadn't contacted me). I was told on Dec 14th when I had the bloodwork that they would call me in two weeks. They said I need 3000 IU of D and my iron levels are really low but I have always been close to anemic anyway.
I have bad constipation isses right now already so I don't want to add anything that is going to make it worse. The dietician told me to take 300 Mg of ferrous sulphate 3 x a day but I think thats the one that makes constipation issues worse.Is it the proferrin or carbonyl iron that is best and where do you get it?
Thanks
Cher

Leanne1
on 1/10/12 6:25 am, edited 1/9/12 6:25 pm - Newmarket, Canada
Heyy Cher :)

Leona is the expert on this subject ;)

Here is a link that she wrote:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4362023/All-I-know-about-Bariatric-Anemiaslong/

It's a grat read!

Leanne
OKNEE FE + 3
on 1/10/12 7:43 am
Thanks for the "plug" Leanne!

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

torytt
on 1/10/12 6:46 am
Hey Cher,
Sorry for the findings.
I had my blood done the week before you at HRRH and have not heard back yet either.  I called the nurse right after X-Mas and she said they were still waiting for some of  the results and they would be calling us.
I refuse to be the "one who got forgotten" so I am going to call back again.  Can you please tell me who you called?
Thanks kindly.
TT
Cherry's New
Beginning

on 1/11/12 7:10 am - Cole Harbour, Canada
Hi
I just called the clinic number and told her why I was calling. She transferred me to the voice mail of one of the dieticians.

Lorraine M.
on 1/10/12 6:52 am - Canada
Hi Cher, 

I received the same report and they suggested a type of iron that causes constipation without even asking me if I had that problem already!!. I had already read on the forum about proferrin and asked if I could take that. She said yes and it was much better for me as it is hemme iron and no constipation (no side affects at all). I take 2 pills per day (cut in half as they are a bit big). I buy them at Walmart (behind the counter) but I hear that you can get it at Costco as well. They come in 30 pills or 90 pill sizes. About $23 for the small and $67 for the big one (as I recall). Made me feel better really quickly, more energy. Tried to see if my plan would pay for it if my doctor wrote a prescription but it wouldnt.

Good luck,

PatXYZ
on 1/10/12 7:01 am, edited 1/9/12 7:02 pm
The best price for Proferrin is Costco, if you don't have a membership then the next best price is Walmart. You've made a wise choice to choose a different kind of iron than what was suggested to you! The ferrous sulphate will constipate you and you won't even properly absorb it. The Proferrin won't constipate you and is an excellent choice for a RNYer. People usually take 2-4 per day depending on how bad the deficiency is.

With the vitamin D, make sure you are buying D3 (not D2) and that it is a 'dry' formulation, you will absorb this better! You can probably find these at most drug stores or GNCs in a 1000IU, you may have to look online or special order for the 5000IU which would be better. Most places can special order items for you if you ask!
mermaidoz
on 1/10/12 7:05 am, edited 1/10/12 7:10 am - Canada
Proferrin is the brand name of  heme sourced iron  ( from beef/meat) which has no restrictioins on what you can take it with or without, even take at same time with all your other vits and with dairy and meals!  No side effects either as the most natural source of iron...If your medical insurance plan doesn't cover it, get a prescription for it  anyway from your doctor, pay full blast for it any pharmacy , and then include the receipts with the doctor's prescription ( as justification) as a medical expense on your annual income tax. 

Does anyone know of any other brand of heme iron, or is Proferrin the only brand available? Is there a generic heme iron brand?
OKNEE FE + 3
on 1/10/12 7:42 am
I know of no generic heme based irons.  I tend to suggest FeraMAX it is a polysaccharide iron and works well in DS and distal RNY's it is in capsule form, the capsules can be opened and disolved in liquids or soft foods.  Proferrin is my second choice solely because I have a high patient population who avoid meat (proferrin is derived from bovine blood product).

Cheapest FeraMAX is @ FreshCo Pharmacies $68 for 100 capsules (50 day supply) second is Metro pharmacie.  SDM is most expensive.

Proferrin may be covered by your drug plan.

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

PatXYZ
on 1/10/12 8:51 am
Proferrin is the best for proximal RNYs though, right? Due to the total exclusion of the duodenum?
Most Active
Recent Topics