Update on moi

Jeff Z.
on 1/17/12 5:09 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 So I've sort of been "lurking" again, and haven't taken the time to post anything.  The holidays, family bickering, etc. have all played a part in that.  I've also been spending a great deal of time on tackling the giant mess that was my apartment.  It's something I've needed to go for since my grandmother's passing. 

At any rate now to the surgery related stuff...

So originally this post was going to be all happy and full of cheer, but an email has changed my tune unfortunately.

December 19th I met with Dr. Gagner to go over his thoughts for a revision to a DS.  My biggest concern regarding whether he was going to touch my stomach again was put to rest right off the bat.  He said it was an absolute perfect size and touching it would not be necessary.

He then said they were looking to do the surgery around the middle of February, which now seems to be delayed until March or April due to TWH.

I spoke with TWH last week to get an understanding of what the appointment was exactly as a message I received stated it was to simply meet with one of their surgeons.  I was told a supervisor of the program there would call me on Friday, which did not happen.  I've still yet to hear back.

When the MOH transferred me from St. Joe's to TWH to get the pre-operative testing that Dr. Gagner wanted done I thought it would be smooth sailing, however that has not been the case at all.

Arrangements were already being made for a February surgery (my mom taking time off work, etc.), but again a wrench has been thrown into the mix.  

What would be the point of meeting with a TWH surgeon to see if I can undergo surgery if I've already met with two surgeons (Dr. Hong and Dr. Gagner) and that I already had clearance from the MOH to have surgery?  Plus, what would be the point of meeting with a surgeon who doesn't even perform the DS?  It just seems like a pointless appointment and would be a waste of my time.

I've requested a transfer back to St. Joseph's over this as I never had quite so much trouble.  I'm fine if it takes me an extra hour to get there.  Plus, at least their team is in contact with Dr. Gagner's office as they were trying to start some sort of DS program or so I was told.

At any rate I'm not happy with yet another setback that was out of my control.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

sam1am
on 1/17/12 5:23 am
Hey Jeff!

Bout time you let us know what was going on *pouts*, ok, I'm over it, lol.  Sorry to hear about the delays!  Have they told you why you need to meet with another surgeon?  Maybe there is a good reason for it?  I know Jennifer had her surgery delayed several times by Dr. Gagner so unfortunately I don't think that's out of the norm.  Let us know how it goes!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Jeff Z.
on 1/17/12 5:38 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 No, they have not clarified by I need to meet with one of their surgeons, but it is definitely not on request of Dr. Gagner.

Dr. Gagner's office delayed the surgery as they didn't feel I would get the stress test (most important pre-operative test now), completed in time.

Honestly my opinion is that TWH doesn't know what is going on, but the fact that they can't return a phone call when they say they will also bothers me.  Especially when it is a important.  I made it clear that I was having surgery in a month when I spoke with someone at TWH.

And at this point I have not made any travel arrangements, because I was waiting to hear from them.

Frustrating.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

torytt
on 1/17/12 7:07 am
HI Jeff,
I have no words of wisdom or anything calming to say.  I just wanted to say that I feel for you.  I know getting dicked around sucks.  Keep up the good fight!!
Also, congrats on your success to date.
TT
AllaP
on 1/17/12 9:56 am - Vaughan, Canada
 Hi Jeff,

I hope it all will work out for you. Best of luck.

Alla.

PaulaToronto
on 1/17/12 10:06 am - Toronto, Canada
So good to hear from you and get updated.  Sorry to hear about more delays which I am sure is very frustrating.  I tend to agree with you about St. Joes being more up to date with the DS.  I hate the trek to Hamilton as well but am so glad it was my cachement hospital as I got the surgery I wanted and am doing OK.  Keep in touch and tell us how things are going.  Are you still losing on the VSG diet?

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

northernlight
on 1/17/12 11:29 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Ah Jeff, I'm sorry to hear that you're still having problems and roadblocks, but TWH is having problems calling people back it seems!

I was waiting for a call to meet the surgeon & kept leaving messages for the booking clerk, but she never called me back. This went on for almost 2 months & I was SO frustrated. I finally had to contact a supervisor who got it resolved & I got my appointment for next month. She apologized but her only explanation was that they are handling twice as many patients as a year ago. I think that it's time to hire more staff, if that's the problem.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you not to just wait & wait for them to call - you'll probably need to take it to a higher level if you don't get a call back. Be persistent & don't let them forget about you !!! You must be your own advocate & make some noise to get results it seems like. Good luck!

Deb

Most Active
Recent Topics