Private Room Charge at St. Joseph's Hamilton?

PatXYZ
on 2/10/12 7:56 am
My insurance will pay for a semi-private room. Does anyone know how much more it is per night to upgrade to a private room?
StevesGal
on 2/10/12 8:17 am - Hamilton, Canada
I tried to get a private room, but was told that they only have one or two private rooms on that floor (where all WLS patients go to recover) and they are reserved for cases where the person must be kept separate (ie. contagious infection, etc.), so the chances are you won't get one.  Sorry.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

msheavyhearted
on 2/10/12 8:28 am - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
Only $25 more. Yup, I was quite surprised by that, too. I would be highly surprised if you ended up with a private room, though. I didn't notice too many on my laps around the 6th floor and the ones I did see had patients *****quired isolation. I ended up in a semi and it turned out to be fine. I had an awesome roommate and you'll likely be there for only a couple of days.

You'll be asked about insurance and preference at your PATTS. Hopefully you'll get what you want.

Thea
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

tasha_the_dog
on 2/10/12 8:28 am - Thunder Bay, , Canada
I too, requested a private, but did not get one.  Walking around the floor all the privates were used as isolation rooms.

I had to suffer with a roomie who had to sleep with her light on all night.  Not great when I had difficulty sleeping as it was.

Referral to Thunder Bay Bariatric Centre July 2010 Orientation Class August 2010
Appointments with dietician, nurse practitioner and psychologist September/November 2010   Ultrasound November 2010
Scope June 10, 2011, meeting with surgeon Nov 29, 2011    surgery  VSG Jan 20/12
Surgeon: Dr. Gmora
HW 287

CW 169

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/12 12:00 pm - Guelph, Canada
 OMG I would loose my freaking mind... her light would have been the least of her worries! 

I can see myself walking out AMA after the first night! 
mypita58
on 2/10/12 9:07 am - Windsor, Canada
 My insurance only covers $200.00 per day of the semi private rate. Since I would have to pay the extra of what a semi cost I asked for a ward. The hospital gave me a private at no charge.
Glenda    
Do not pray for an easier life, pray to be stronger.    JFK            
JennR
on 2/10/12 12:07 pm
As a nurse who has worked in the Hamilton hospitals I can confirm what everyone else has said about the private rooms. They end up being for patients who need to be isolated. You surely can put in the request but are not likely to get one. I don't remember seeing a lot of private rooms on that floor, almost all semi privates but no rooms with more than 2.

robinmarie1959
on 2/10/12 11:09 pm - Canada
 you probably wont get a privateroom because i had told them i had coverage for it and they said she doubt very much if i could have it
sweet76
on 2/10/12 11:11 pm
 I have private coverage and it didn't happen.  There were a great deal of isolations on the unit at the time I was there.  I too suffered with a roomy that was a PITA, it just inspired me to walk lots!!!!!!!!  Good luck
Most Active
Recent Topics