Why am I always so cold?

CdnGal
on 2/15/12 10:55 am - Canada
 I remember last year reading how many wls patients become cold after surgery, does anybody now the technical reason as to why?  Some nights I take up to three baths in an evening because I am so cold!  Anybody else??  Thanks!

Leanne1
on 2/15/12 11:05 am - Newmarket, Canada
I'm freeezing allll the time.

I wear lots of fuzzy clothes and sleep with 3 blankets
CdnGal
on 2/15/12 11:10 am - Canada
 I know what you mean, I am always cold!  Do you know why?

Leanne1
on 2/15/12 11:26 am - Newmarket, Canada
Not "technically"

But we have lost all of our fat that keeps us warm ;)
koree
on 2/15/12 12:13 pm - Toronto, Canada
from what the surgeon told me is that the reason we're cold after surgery is because of the rapid weight loss - body not sure how to cope and makes us freeze!!  what I found and I totally love them is jammies from Mark's work wearhouse... they are fuzzy (polar fleece?) "Womens Denver Hayes Dream Fleece PJs" and right now they are on sale for like $14.99 - they have been keeping me really warm and if I didn't look crazy I'd wear them outside! lol

they look like these...

Koree
July 13th, 2010 - Orientation at TWH.....  July 29th, 2010 - Bariatric Nurse Appt.....   August 10th, 2010 - Social Worker.....  September 8th, 2010 - Nutrition Class & Dietitian Appts.....  September 13th, 2010 - Psychologist.....  September 23rd, 2010 - Dietitian and Social Worker meeting with Hubby.....  October 12th, 2010 - Follow up with Social Worker.....  November 5th, 2010 - Met Surgeon - Teodor Grantcharov....  January 7th, 2011 - PATS.....   January 20th, 2011 - SURGERY!! 
Got me an Angel - Leanne1

flyingwoman
on 2/15/12 12:24 pm
The regulation of the body's heat is the major expenditure of your body's resting metabolic rate. In prolonged caloric deficit, your body turns down the thermostat to become more energy efficient, with te side effect of being less reliably warm. It's like turning down the heat in your house when you can't afford the bills.

Also, I have a theory that the stomach has a regulating effect on the way that temperatures of food affect the body's core heat, and that without the pyloric valve, that effect is significantly diminished. When I cold drinks now, my body temperature swings wildly down and I shiver and shudder. When i drink hot drinks, I swelter and peel off layers.

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
Joy D.
on 2/15/12 4:21 pm - Hamilton, Canada
 wait til you hit menopause, i call it mental pause bc that's how i feel most days ..lol hot hotter cold freezing hot....... 3 comforters on my bed fan blowing sweating to freezing...... makes me mental and emotional when will it end .... Dr's don't know i just can't wait for my summer sun to come back..lol

Joy

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
Free Disney Tickers

Megan M.
on 2/15/12 7:44 pm - Canada
Hey, Joy.  I'm having what I call "head menopause".  Hot flashes that affect me only from the chest up!  Go red in the face, get cranky, must turn on a fan - only lasts about 30 seconds!  Yep - Head Menopause!  But the rest of me is cold all the time.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Gwen Boldick
on 2/15/12 9:22 pm - Canada
oh i hear you there lol i am in that stage to.....i hate this stage also and on top of it having surgery i am losing my hair because of both reasons ........but i am dealing with them both at the same time....good luck....
paparufus
on 2/15/12 7:49 pm
RNY on 01/31/12
since surgery two weeks ago I have been using a Sunbeam electric heating pad.  It feels really nice on my tummy and helps to warm up the cold sheets.  Before Opti, I would keep the house at 69 or 70.  I was always warm.  Since Opti and weight loss  I keep the house at 73 or 74. 
Most Active
Recent Topics