help im hungry

reneemonique
on 3/26/12 12:23 am - Canada
Good morning, I am 14 months out and am getting hungry so much more often. I had a shake this morning and drank it from 6:30 to 7:30. By 8:30 at work i was starving and had to eat again. Is this normal at this point that my shake wont hold me over? I am also finding myself hungry after dinner and mid afternoon. I am having my three small meals and 3 snacks but it just doesnt seem to be enough. Has any one experienced this? What did you find helped?
 One Love ~Renee Monique~        
Joyce J.
on 3/26/12 12:28 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

I guess it depends on what you are having for snacks. High protein should make you full longer
How long are you wanting your shake to hold you over for? Is that your breakfast? Maybe you should be having food with protein instead, maybe that would work better
Hope others have some ideas

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

fierodough
on 3/26/12 12:28 am - Orleans, Canada
Shakes no longer work after RnY. Due to the mechanics of the surgery. You no longer have a valve that opens and closes to let food flow out of the stomach. So liquid food such as soups, protein shakes etc.. drain out of your stomach too quickly making you feel hungry. Salads with meat in it, pieces of meat, cheese, other hard foods that need to be broken down will keep you full for longer. I find that if I have a shake or even soup, I’m hungry less than an hour later.   Cheers!
MisterDiminishing
on 3/26/12 12:28 am - Windsor, Canada
If you just ate, that's not hunger. That's "head hunger". I get that all the time. The surgery doesn't change our age old tendency for unhealthy coping strategies that involve food. So we have to re-direct our energy into more positive things. That said, I notice you had a ... shake for breakfast? Try food. Liquids go right through you. So I can see in that case where your pouch would lack the feeling of fullness and egg, toast, and cheese (for example) would offer.

Joyce J.
on 3/26/12 12:35 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi John

Nice to see you posting. As per your "ticker" looks like you are doing well.
Hope all is good with you

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

ToNewBeginnings
on 3/26/12 12:30 am
I started to get hungrier. I think most people do.

I also found that if I ate more I was less hungry and I lost more weight. I know, sounds too good to be true right?
I started to incorporate more fruit and vegetables into my day. Fills you up with minimal calories and good nutrition. I also made sure to drink 8 C's where I was only drinking 6 before.

Do you know how many calories you are eating? Is it enough? You can check out sparkpeople.com or myfitnesspal, these are good sites to see if you are on track.

good luck!

Karen M.
on 3/26/12 12:32 am - Mississauga, Canada
What does a typical day's menu look like?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Monica M.
on 3/26/12 12:51 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Hey Renee - i'm 13 months out now (almost). I find that i need to have more substantial meals, and fill in with less substantial snacks.

Protein shakes work for some people, but not everyone. LIke people are saying, liquids move through you. Maybe what you're needing is some more "bulk" to your meal, especially in the morning. 

What i usually have for breakfast is an egg + an egg white, scrambled or whatever, and a small piece of toast or half an english muffin. If i just eat the egg, or just a piece of toast, i'm starving before its time for break, and i end up filling the whole with carbs.

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/12 12:54 am - Canada
I was getting hungry between meals too and switched to denser snacks - meat primarily & that really helped. I'm out of protein shakes & having the cereal this past week I've noticed I'm not hungry for a few hours. With my shake I always wanted to eat something an hour later.
reneemonique
on 3/26/12 1:05 am, edited 3/26/12 1:11 am - Canada

Thank you for all of the advise, i never really thought about how quickly the liquids would run through my stomach because i was referring to the beginning when i was sooo full from them.
Thank you everyone for the quick replies.

My daily meals varie but are most often as follows

B - 2 eggs ****asionally one egg and 1 slice of toast) or 1 pouch of plain oatmeal with splenda or a shake
S- Cottage cheese with berries or 2 light baby bells
L- Lean cuisine or 2 eggs with red peppers and onions and cheese or two thin peice of bread with fat free process cheese and turkey lunch meat or bean salad with cheese
S- Carrotts or Zero yogurt or cheese string or 1 pouch of plain oatmeal with splenda
D - Protein from family meal (varies on night) with veg and small amount of the carb. (in a baby bowl)
S- Not gonna lie i usually carb binge here, crackers or a slice of toast....

Liquids is between 2 and 4 litters or or water with crystal light and one or two large coffees with 1 pkg of light hot chocolate added (non-decaf)

Daily calorie intake, i am not sure i am going to start tracking again i hav elet this slip the past few months.

I think i may try the 5 day pouch test. I think i need to curb my carb cravings.

Thank you for all of the advise, i never really thought about how quickly the liquids would run through my stomach because i was refering to the beggining when i was sooo full from them.
 One Love ~Renee Monique~        
Most Active
Recent Topics