Does this work??

CdnGal
on 4/26/12 12:01 pm - Canada
 I read somewhere that when you are in a stall, and you are almost at your  surgiversarry date, that to lose more weight, you should go through the stages of wls.  So instead of doing the 5 day pouch test you would essentially do 2 days of clear liquids, followed by 1 week of liquids, them 1 week of puréed foods, then 1 week of soft foods, followed by your healthy eating plan.  For the life of me I can't remember where I read it, but I was just wondering what other people's thoughts were on this topic.  Do you think that it would work to help kick start your weight loss again if you are not losing?  Thanks as always for your viewpoints!

happypants
on 4/26/12 12:22 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Joanne not sure if that works or not but I just had my 9Th month check up in Ottawa and what the nurse practitioner told me was that once you have lost the majority of your weight, weight loss slows to about 1/2 lb to 1 lb a week. I'm not sure how much you are losing at this stage.

Have you considered lowering your carb intake and increasing your protein? Not sure if you tried this yet but it works for me when things slow down to much.

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

CdnGal
on 4/26/12 12:27 pm - Canada
 I am not even losing that!!  But I read what people wrote a few pages before with increasing the protein and reducing the carbs.  I have about 25-45 pounds still to go, and my body just does not want to give up any more fat!  I swear that years ago, my people survived the ice age, because man, can we ever hold onto fat!!!!!  I am still doing lots of exercise, but no dice!  I have an appointment in Ottawa next week so I will ask about it then.  How are you doing by the way with your wl?

happypants
on 4/26/12 1:02 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I'm doing ok. I've lost 106 lbs so far. I started at 270 and at my 9 month check up I weighted in at 164. My personal goal is 150 lbs.  This may be unrealistic considering I'm 5'7". I guess I just have to wait and see how things go.

I was thinking about a friend of mine that did everything to lose weight and it turned out to be a thyroid problem with her, has your thyroid been tested? Are you tracking your food and exercise with on of the online programs? Fitday is really good.

I hope someone chimes in with some suggestions for you and you find some answers soon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/26/12 12:59 pm - Windsor, Canada
 Look at your protein/carb/ fat ratio.  That's is the key.   Other than that, patience, my friend.  

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

CdnGal
on 4/26/12 1:09 pm - Canada
 I have tracked on fit day in the past, I stopped fr while b/c I am a creature of habit and I eat the same stuff everyday.  I will take another closer look at my protein to carb ratio.  I don't eat many carbs at all actually unless you count my Vegies as carbs.  I am a very boring eater.  I have an omelette with Vegies every morning, with decaf coffee later on. Then for snack and lunch I eat salad with tons of Vegies, feta cheese or chick peas with a no fat garlic dressing that I get from the US.  Dinner is just normal stuff, nothing exciting.  Protein with Vegies and if I fit it in, potatoe or rice.  Later on at night though I do snack on a few crackers and low fat cheese.  I repeat the process every day except on Thursdays when I eat 1/2 a pita for lunch.  But, I will do as you advise and start to input it all into fitday.  Thanks for the suggestions, I will begin immediately. :)

PaulaToronto
on 4/26/12 1:52 pm - Toronto, Canada
I am just getting over a 6 week stall.  My eating was pretty clean so I added two more glasses of water per day getting 12-14 now and added intensity to my workout on the threadmill - going alot faster for the first mile and then going down a bit for the second mile.   My knees don't like it but I l have lost 3 pounds in the past 9 days.  I hope the weight loss keeps up.  I also did bloodwork to make sure my thyroid and sugar levels and everything else is OK.   

My carbs are always low under 20 most days and for sure under 30 on days I might splurge. I also made sure I was getting as near to 100gr of protein as I could every day.  I was not doing it every day for about a month and maybe that was an issue too.  Hard to know for sure but this is working so far.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

PatXYZ
on 4/27/12 11:44 pm
That actually sounds like quite a lot of carbs... try writing it all out and figuring out the grams. Some veggies actually have a lot of carbs and chickpeas definitely do, as do the crackers, rice, potato, etc. Also, why low fat cheese and dressing? It has more carbs than the regular. Try switching your salad dressing and cheese to the regular full-fat variety and cut out the simple carbs in the evening like the crackers and the rice/potato at dinner. If you want something with your cheese, try veggies instead.
linda11665
on 4/26/12 9:48 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Hi, I am 9months out and "knock on wood" have never hit a stall yet...I think your menu plan is great but it is boring...Your body gets used to eating the same amount of food on a daily basis..It won't lose weight cause you are in a "habit" eating form.

What I mean is if you eat the same things everyday your body gets used to it.  It's the same thing with exercise...I am not saying stop exercising, I am just saying change it up a bit...Your eating habits, are great, but change the menu a bit...

I find, with me, that following the same menu everyday does get boring for me, but by changing it on a daily basis, same with exercise, I don't let my body get used to the same thing.

I have reached the ottawa hospital's goal of a 100lbs at 5months out and then lost another 20lbs, and still losing 1/2 to 1 lb a week now...

I use fitday everyday, and my menu is very healthy, my protein is always over 60 and my carb is between 20 to 30...But somedays, especially when I am running, I have to increase my carbs by 10 points because I get very week after a run..So I eat a protein bar right afterwards.

If you have the WLS recipe book, use a different menu everyday...Or go on the recipe forum and use a recipe from there...

Just my two cents... :)

Hope this helps.

Linda

Choose love, power, and acceptance instead of what we default to which is fear, dependence, and intolerance
ToNewBeginnings
on 4/26/12 10:58 pm
I could barely get through one day of the pouch test.
I think I'd rather shoot myself than try liquids for a week and then a week of puree!

Most Active
Recent Topics