some people!! (sort of long rant)

Karen W.
on 5/3/12 2:57 am - Canada
I've never posted a rant before, but here goes...

I had an appt at the Ottawa WMC this morning to follow up after surgery for a herniated bowel; I've been having some pain and some BM issues.  I have no complaints at all about the care I've received at the hospital. 

While I was in the waiting room, a woman left the nurse's office muttering about having to wait another 3 months. I'm not sure if she has to wait for surgery or her next appt, but she was really agitated and rude.  A while later, another woman went up to the receptionist and started complaining that people who arrived after her were being called for their appts before her.  The receptionist explained that different people are seeing different staff, and that they were running behind this morning.  That tends to happen when they have squeezed people in due to emergencies or complications.  The woman raised her voice and asked if it was going to be like this every time she goes there, then stomped back to her seat.  Incredibly rude.

It makes me crazy that people don't appreciate our health care system.  In the US, without insurance, people pay up to $50K for WLS.  No, they don't have to wait, but who's got that kind of money?  And what if SHE has a post-op complication/emergency some day?  Would she be ok with not being able to get an appt because someone else might need to wait for bit?

I've just been through emergency surgery for something that could have become life-threatening.  They gave me an appt to ensure that I'm ok; sent me for stat blood work and an xray to check for problems, then saw me again to give me results.  I am deeply grateful for our health care system.  To all of those who aren't:  You're not the centre of the universe.  Learn to appreciate what you have.  Thank God you weren't born in the third world.  For God's sake, grow up.

There, I'm done.  I feel much better!

RNY April 11, 2011       

Karen M.
on 5/3/12 3:03 am, edited 5/3/12 3:04 am - Mississauga, Canada
I agree with you - and I feel embarassed for both the staff and the person loudly complaining.

I appreciate offices that post signs explaining the order in which people are seen. For example, my gynocologist has a sign posted letting people know that they are seen in order of appointment time, not when they arrive. Seems to save a lot of grief!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Patti K.
on 5/3/12 3:14 am - Kingston On, Canada
Karen...wished there was a "like" button, but this will have to do    Patti K.

Ammi Tu
on 5/3/12 3:19 am
RNY on 04/13/12
Here, here!! 

Referral: pre-Aug 2010 <>  Info Session: Mar 18/11 <>  Nurse Practioner: Oct  31/11  <>  Behaviourist/Dietitian: Nov 15/11 <> Social Worker: end Nov/11  <>  Endoscopy: Jan 18/12 <>  Education Class: Feb 29/12  <>  Surgeon Mtg: Mar 6, 2012  <>  Called w/Date: 20 Mar, 2012 <> Surgeon: Dr. Mamazza  <> RNY Surgery Date: 13 Apr/12
Dianadcr
on 5/3/12 3:34 am - Canada
Courtesy and patience give us the edge and goes a long way. Rudeness and impatience will not endear us to staff.
  Diana

CanDoItFour
on 5/3/12 3:41 am - Canada
Agree completely. 

There seems to be a sense of entitlement amongst some people that I find very hard to take sometimes.  I know in TO some people have come a long way and have connections they want to make, but yesterday AM there was a girl in for a scope who was going on to shoe shopping at the Eaton Centre and was frustrated that things weren't moving as quickly as she'd like, while also mentioning that ..."wasn't it great  that both she and her Mom had their return flight tickets and hotel accommodation all paid for"!!!!

Yes, we're very lucky!

Claire

(And I'm very glad you're OK and receiving good care.  THAT IS heartening!)
Tammy G.
on 5/3/12 5:02 am - London, Canada
RNY on 01/25/12
 Does this mean I missed you yesterday at TWH Claire??? I was there from 10:30am until 2:30pm with my 2 year old.

Tammy 

CanDoItFour
on 5/4/12 12:26 am - Canada
HI Tammy - yes, I was there for a scope on Wed. AM from about 8:00 to 1:00; but was tucked away in the "procedures rooms" at the back.  It would have been great to see you though. 

Maybe next time we can sit and sip skinny lattes together as we wait, lol!  Hope all is well with you.

Claire
(deactivated member)
on 5/3/12 3:52 am, edited 5/3/12 3:52 am
As a health care provider running my own office may I say Hear Hear!!
(deactivated member)
on 5/3/12 4:09 am - Guelph, Canada
 i agree.....BUT  at what time does it become total bull **** and bad time management skills?

my gyno.....unless i get an appointment before 10am i wont book....my second appointment i ever had with him my appointment was at 2pm...i never got out of there till 7pm

he runs late by about 3 hours on a good day. i understand emergencys come up and i am all for squeezing when you can BUT if my doctor had an emergency come in and is running more then 45 min - an hour late i would appriciate a heads up when i check in and have the option to reschedule without paying a missed appointment fee this will do 2 things.... help get the doc back on schedule and avoid drama 
Most Active
Recent Topics