Hoping and Planning and Wondering...

Nikkismom
on 5/20/12 7:52 am - Toronto, Canada
Hello folks,
My name is Carol and I have just begun this journey, a journey that I am not yet sure I will be approved for.
I attended the information session at Humber River Regional 4 weeks ago. I hadn't heard anything yet and called the Bariatric Centre. They advised me that they had not yet received a multiple page questionnaire from me. Once I received it I filled it out and sent it back right away.  The staff seemed very busy with the clinic and I don't want to bother them. Does anyone here know what I can expect next? What are the different steps in the process? What kind of time frame might I expect between each step? Does anyone know of someone who has not been accepted for the surgery because of age? I will soon be 59.
Thank you for any guidance or advice!
Carol
killiegirl
on 5/20/12 8:22 am - cambridge, Canada
 Hi Carol, I went to Humber indu tion class on 23rd Alpril, handed in the yellow confirmation form after that class, got a call a week later to come for my surgeons appointment on May 7th, on May6th received a letter with all my other appointments - since then I have attended the bariatric class with a nurse and social worker and i have my medical internist, social worker and dietician one on ones in June then back to see surgeon early July.  I would give the clinic another call to insure they have your forms and not worry as all the members of the team I have dealt with so far have been very nice and supportive.  By the way I am 52 so don,t think of age - I am amazed how fast the journey is now but to be honest I am finding it very educational and enjoyable for once in my life I am looking after myself and my body.  Hope you hear soon

Nikkismom
on 5/20/12 10:47 am - Toronto, Canada

Thank you for your reply. What is your name? Not sure if I should call you "Killie"?
We actually were at the same class. I also handed in the confirmation form but it was a long questionnaire that they were missing. I sent that on Wednesday. Do you think I should call them?
I would love to keep in touch with you as we will be going through all this together, if they accept me.
I do have some other health problems that they may not like so I don't want to get my hopes up.
Where do you live? I am right on the border of Scarborough and Pickering down near the lake.
If you are comfortable doing so, we can communicate via email. My email is [email protected]. (No 's" in my last name)
Once again, thank you for getting back to me. I am sure I will have many more questions!
Carol

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
sam1am
on 5/20/12 8:29 am
Things have changed since I jumped through my hoops, so I really can't give you much information on the process.  My understanding is that with comorbities (sleep apnea, diabetis etc.) a bmi of 35 or over gets approved, and a bmi of 40 with or without  comorbities  is also approved.  Your age shouldn't be an issue.

All the best!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Nikkismom
on 5/20/12 11:09 am - Toronto, Canada
Thank you ?Sam?, (not sure what to call you!)
Well my BMI is 39. I am not yet diabetic, but just on the border. I don't know whether I have sleep apnea as I live alone but when away with friends they complain that I snore.
I guess I will just have to wait to see what they say. I will be so sad if they refuse me as I've tried so many diets for most of my life, but I guess that is the same for all of us.
How has your journey gone?
Carol

sam1am
on 5/20/12 11:29 am
 Call me Sam or Sandy, I answer to both, lol.

I would have bet that I didn't have sleep apnea, but had a severe case.  My bmi was 39 as well.  I sure hope they don't refuse you, we're pretty lucky here in Ontario (besides the wait), so I would feel hopeful.

I have had a fantastic journey!  I had a VSG and got to goal losing 100 lbs  in 10 months (I'm almost 5'8'', just to point out that 100 lbs sounds like a lot with a bmi of 39, but not when you're tall).  I gained back about 5 lbs the first year and 10 the second (4 of which I lost this week because I was sick, non weightloss related).  I've been very lax with excersize and have been amping that up as well.  I have no complaints and am extremely happy with my results, no regrets whatsoever!

All the best in your journey!

Sandy                                           

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Nikkismom
on 5/20/12 1:10 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thank you so much Sam. How did they determine that you had sleep apnea?
I'm so happy that your journey has been a good one. That is certainly encouraging.
I used to be 5`6" but am now at least an inch shorter! I corrected the nurse at my doc's office when she measured me and she showed me that I'm not even 5' 5"!
I am hopeful and do hope that they call me soon!
Enjoy your day off tomorrow, if you have it off.
Carol
sam1am
on 5/20/12 11:27 pm
 I was sent for  sleep study, which many are on this journey.  I ended up having to get a CPAP machine (mostly funded but OHIP and the balance by my company insurance), for a few months before surgery but didn't need it after.

Now is no time to push your height, lol, as it helps determine your bmi.  If you are borderline,, I wouldn't stretch to my whole height.  

Sandy                                           

Laurie C.
on 5/20/12 8:29 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada
Hi Carol
Nice to meet you.  My surgery is scheduled for September 4/12 and I'm 55 so age doesn't seem to be an issue.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Nikkismom
on 5/20/12 11:12 am - Toronto, Canada
Hi Laurie,

I had heard that they won't do the surgery on anyone 60+ but I guess I will just wait to see what they say.
How exciting for you! Where are you having your procedure? Do you live in Toronto?
Carol

Most Active
Recent Topics