Need a little bit of advice!

Lizzie54
on 5/30/12 2:51 am - Canada
First, I apologize if this has been asked before...I am almost at my 6 months mark and am doing very well.  Weight loss is good, i feel great, have lots of energy and so many NSV's i can't count....my challenge...over the last couple of weeks, I want to eat more at night and have done on occasion.. Not too much, but the calories do add up.

I usually eat about 800 calories a day, and try to stick with the 40/30/30 rule for protein, carbs and fat.  Most days are within that range.

But last night, i just wanted to eat, I wasn't hungry and I couldn't control myself.   I didn't go for 'bad" food, just too much of cheese,  yogurt, protein bar and a homemade bran muffin.  I was almost at 1100 calories. 

So for those who have been on this journey a long time, what tips or advise can you offer me (other then get control of myself and stop eating when i shouldn't be)...Maybe i need a stiff kick in the pants!! 

Thanks Guys!
Liz   

Susan B.
on 5/30/12 3:02 am - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12
I have found I have those days/nights as well.  I am well into menopause however my daughter was pmsing so I figured my hormones were surging as well.

As well its always good to take a moment to think about why it is you want to eat-is it stress, boredom, anxiety? or whatever trigger you had in your past life to eat.

I know for me the trigger I have identified is frustration.  When I am frustrated with work/stupid people/traffic/or whatever I want to eat something really unhealthy.

When I am feeling the need to eat and I know I am not truly hungry-I have eaten enough protein etc - then I drink lots of flavoured water.  It seems to help to satisfy the need to eat and gives me an added bonus of extra fluid.

I am not saying its easy-I am just over 3 months out-but it is one more step in the battle to becoming a newer heather me, and to rid myself of the old bad habit food is a crutch me.

Good Luck - Keep at it - You CAN do it!!

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

Lizzie54
on 5/30/12 7:06 am - Canada
 Thks Susan.  I drink about 9 glasses of water a day.  Perhaps I will try water with crystal lite
Liz   

Not One Too Many
on 5/30/12 10:42 pm - Canada

MIO has nice flavours too, and it's in a small bottle of liquid, so it's easy enough to stick in a pruse and take with. Available at most grocery stores.

Referral: April 24, 2012  Orientation: October 22, 2012 Surgery: June 17, 2013 With Dr. Anvari

Lizzie54
on 5/31/12 3:47 am - Canada
I tried MIO and it just didn't do it for me!! Especially since when i squeezed the bottle on an angle it went all over my ceramic floor and into the grout.
Liz   

CanDoItFour
on 5/30/12 3:12 am - Canada
OMG - YOU'VE BEEN READING MY DIARY!!!!  Word for word!

Haha: but not so haha too, I know!

1) Get out of the kitchen / out of the house (with no money).  It will pass eventually.

2) Drink first - a beverage you really like, with the caveat that you can only eat afterwards.  I keep Lindt individually wrapped 70% chocolate squares (30 calories) for these times, and eat it VERY slowly with a coffee.  It often works.

3) Have a "go to" snack that includes protein (to help curb any REAL hunger) that you've accepted in your head is OK for these mini-binge times, and try to eat only that.  I have a protein bar (IsoFlex chocolate caramel) that is sweet and goey that I only eat when I'm having one of those "end of day and I've got to eat" moments.  I try to eat 1/2, but I'm allowed the whole thing if I really need it.

4) I look at this as being about damage control.  The key is to move on the next day and get back on track.  If this happens 2 days in a row, then the third day for me must be only protein drinks.  It seems to reset my carb urge meter (haha), and makes it easier to get back on track.

Good luck!  We all face this from time to time.  You did well I'd say, but I know it's terribly upsetting.

Claire
HW 348
CW140
Lizzie54
on 5/30/12 2:08 pm - Canada
Thanks Claire!

Lots of good advice, especially a "go to"snack   and getting back on track.  Today has been much better..
Liz   

Cherry's New
Beginning

on 5/30/12 3:16 am - Cole Harbour, Canada
Hi
By my six month mark, I was told that I needed to be consuming at least 1000 claroies a day anyway?? Which centre did you go through? My six months was on the 16th of may and I eat around 1000 calories most days. Sometimes a little less sometimes a little more. I'd check with your dietician to see if you should be upping calories anyway to that mark and congrats on the weightloss so far!

Cher

Lizzie54
on 5/30/12 2:10 pm - Canada
I am going for my 6 month check-up on the 14th...When i went for the 3 month, the dieticiation said to eat between 800 - 1000 calories....I tend to stick to the lower end....I went through TWH...

Thanks .
Liz   

Karen M.
on 5/30/12 3:39 am - Mississauga, Canada
Head hunger/night-time snacking strikes again!  We have ALL been there, Liz, trust me.  It's the worst time of day for me too!  To avoid, I turn off the lights in the kitchen and basically declare it "closed for the evening" in my mind.

But to be honest, what you ate was not what I would consider "bad" in any way! 1100 calories is pretty darn normal. 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics