She's "BIG" like you

OKNEE FE + 3
on 6/5/12 10:16 am, edited 6/5/12 1:11 pm
Imagine how I felt when I was "chatting" with a neighbour for the first time last week and these words rolled out of her mouth!!

They would not have hurt so bad if she was "slight in stature herself" but she too has a little heft to her.

OH I realize I will never be a size two, but after 3 years and a nearly 200 pound weight loss, these mindless words hurt.  I wanted to cry.  What was the sense in enduring all of this just to be labeled a "FAT GIRL" regardless!

Needless to say these thoughtless words cast me into a funk

A few days later I was hustling to catch an elevator "hold please" I called out.  As I stepped on one of my co-workers said, "I didn't see you, but I knew your voice"

"OH yes," I joked, "I am so slight I barely cast a shadow!"

"Well, actually, compared to your former self, I rarely recognize you, until you speak, I know you by your voice only"

The other gentleman on the elevator nodded in agreement, "I am surprised you wanted the elevator, because when I see you you are usually taking the stairs."

A third co-worker remarked, "we all see a real difference, wish we had the willpower and discipline you have"

That elevator ride ended my funk.  I tell people I did this for my health, I had uncontrolled type 2 diabetes, injecting insulin as many as 5 times a day.  I had arthritis so bad I had to leave bedside nursing, and sleep apnea.  I never gave a thought of how I looked, although I heard the whispers, kids snickering and saw the stares.  I thought they were behind me until the mindless words of this neighbour.  However the mindless thoughtless words of a stranger were quickly erased by the words of people who knew me when.

ETA today I am a much healthier and happy person

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

gods_girl67
on 6/5/12 10:28 am - Wasaga Beach, Canada
RNY on 03/27/12
I sometimes have to wonder how some people do not thInk before they speak . I too have been on the receiving end of such thoughtless (and sometimes intentional) hurtful words. Isn't it amazing the impact a few negative words can have? I only wish we placed more weight on the positive things we hear.

I am glad to hear that you did just that!

referral: aug 2011; general orientation: Sept 26, 2011; surgeon appt: Oct 5, 2011;
GB Class: Oct 18, 2011; SW & RN: Oct 20, 2011; Dietitian: Nov 14, 2011;
Dietitian: Jan 9, 2012; Surgeon appt: Feb 2, 2012; Optifast start: Mar 6, 2012
Surgery Date: Mar 27, 2012
OKNEE FE + 3
on 6/5/12 10:53 am
Thank you for your kindness

Oknee's just gotta dance
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"

balou
on 6/5/12 10:39 am - toronto, Canada
hi Leona , considering the size you were , i wouldnt think twice of what your neighbor said , people sometimes arent the  nicest . you have alot to be proud of so dont  be upset about what a stranger said , sounds like your coworkers are the best judge , lets have coffee sometimes

Anna

OKNEE FE + 3
on 6/5/12 10:54 am
Hi Anna your so right

We must "get on" that coffee thing

Oknee's just gotta dance

Laura H.
on 6/5/12 10:56 am - Canada
You look great and are feeling great!  When someone hurts me I try to remember that hurt people, hurt people.  Maybe your neighbour was jealous of how good you look. 

Laura H.

OKNEE FE + 3
on 6/5/12 11:50 am
Hi Laura

Interesting concept although I doubt it as this was the first time we spoke, she is an older lady from a background that covets plus sizes (IYKWIM) and likely never thought for a second how "caustic" her words were.  She was in fact inquiring if I knew a family member who worked in the same hospital as I do and was using the terminology as a descriptive.. .which is why I likely didn't haul off and belt her!

Oknee's just gotta dance

Laurie C.
on 6/5/12 11:01 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada
I think that is simply dreadful and I addmire your self restraint, I might have "let her have it".

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

OKNEE FE + 3
on 6/5/12 11:52 am
kinda proud of myself that I didn't haul off and belt her, I just wanted to cry, and did, but not in front of her!

Oknee's just gotta dance

Blu-Diva
on 6/5/12 12:14 pm - Hamilton, Canada
 Be prod, you handle things well, the elevator top off you as a wonderful person.

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Most Active
Recent Topics