Revision From Manitoba

lucylou
on 6/15/12 1:51 pm - Canada
 I had my RNY in Jan 2008 and lost 126lbs. I came from Winnipeg MB since they didn't have it here yet. I got pregnant right away and had my son in Dec 2009. Ever since then all I have done is gain weight and I up 75lbs. I talked to my doctor who told me to go get a ct scan and a barium test and send the results to him. So after I did that I got a call from his secretary and she said "eat less, exercise more, it is a tool". Then I never heard back from the doctor or the secretary again. 
I understand what she is saying, but it seemed that after my c-section I didn't even have it anymore. I would like to get a revision, but really I don't know who to turn too since my doctor wants no part of it.

Any info would be helpful.
JJ_
on 6/15/12 9:34 pm
Hi Lucylou,

Are you still in Manitoba?  What is their state of bariatric care now?  Did Dr. Starr do your initial surgery?  Have you been going for follow-up care with the surgeon?

As a post-op person in Ontario, I have regular visits for follow-up care.  I can also call the behaviourist or nutritionist if I am having any issues and either schedule an in person meeting or telephone conversation. 

What is your eating like on  a daily basis?  How is your exercise going?  Personally I know that I will need to be ever cognizant of my food intake, my fluid and vitamin intake.  Plus I will need to move more than before.  The doctor`s office is correct.  Any WLS is a tool.  So even if you have a revision, it is a revision to the tool.  The majority of the work is between our ears.  Some other tools help us keep on track, like tracking our food, etc.  Pre-planning our meals.  Having healthy snacks.

Judy
lucylou
on 6/15/12 10:47 pm - Canada
Hi Judy, 

I went for the one follow up that was requried and I still live in Winnipeg. I asked to come and see him and he said there was no real need too. I don't have access to the nutritionist unless I go out to Ontario. It is not that easy cost wise. I asked to be referred here to our bariatric center and he doesn't like doing that. So if I want to see him or the nutritionist I have to go out there. 
I realise it is a tool and it worked great and I loved it. When it helped it really helped. I do exercise by walking all the time. I am slowly falling into bad habits again since I know I can. That what was helping me before is no longer helping so I do the stupid things I did before. 

Hanneli xoxo
on 6/15/12 10:52 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12
Unfortunately, unless you are self pay the rules must have changed since then They don't allow out of province surgeries.

I hope you get the help you need!

lucylou
on 6/16/12 3:10 pm - Canada
 Who doesn't allow out of province surgeries? Ontario? Manitoba health paid for my surgery in 2008. Now they have surgeries in Winnipeg, but no one who does revisions.
Hanneli xoxo
on 6/16/12 3:17 pm, edited 6/16/12 3:17 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12
 Ontario doesn't allow out of province referrals or surgeries. you must have a valid OHIP card... this is from the Ontario bariatric registry website:  http://www.bariatricregistry.ca/FAQ.aspx  

I am not from Ontario, can I be referred?
NO, you must have a valid Ontario health card in order to be eligible for the program

Khedgehog
on 6/16/12 3:58 pm
"He doesn't like doing that" isn't a valid excuse. Insist on being transferred to a program near you. Advocate for yourself. It's your health! I don't know how things work in Manitoba at all, but are you able to get your family doctor/primary care physician to refer you to the MB bariatric program? That way bypassing your ON surgeon?

I'm going to add a link to a transcript from a seminar held by Dr. Mitchell Roslin - "Does the patient fail the procedure"; weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ...if it doesn't work please bear with me. It's definitely worth the read though.

Approved for DS in Ontario! Waiting for a date!

Most Active
Recent Topics