Sleep study tonight....not sure I'll sleep

Peggy F.
on 6/28/12 2:35 am - Whitby, Canada
Hey everyone,
So tonight I go for the sleep study.  I was told that this is regular practice???  I'm going through HRRH, referred by Dr. Glazier.  I have my follow up with Dr. Glazier July 13th.  When I saw him last week he asked me when my surgery date was.....and I don't have one yet.  Is that strange that he thought I would have one but I don't?

I also had the appt's with the nurse, social worker and diatician (who was the toughest and really grilled me about the whole surgery process, expectations, past diets, etc.  I knew my stuff and was able to answer her questions but I couldn't help but feel defensive about my previous 'failures' at dieting.  Duh.....that's why I'm here!  I was with her a long time compared to the other 2).  The nurse told me not to worry about it....things will be fine.

So....here I am wondering what the final assessment will be.  I sure hope I'm not turned down for the surgery.  Anyone have a similar experience?
Joyce J.
on 6/28/12 2:40 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

Sleep study is pretty routine for surgery. They need to know if you have sleep apnea as they will need you to be using a CPAP for your surgery if there are any issues
You may not sleep much, but as long as you sleep enough for them to get a good reading it's all good

Very unlikely you would be denied for surgery. If they are doing all this testing and giving you all these appointments you are a good candidate. Everything is pretty routine, lots of hoops to go through

Keep us posted

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Peggy F.
on 6/28/12 2:43 am - Whitby, Canada
Thanks for the response Joyce.  I guess I'm just a little nervous. 
fxygal
on 6/28/12 2:47 am
 For your sleep study tonight make sure that you don't drink caffeine close to the study time, try drinking cam tea as it will help you relax. I had to redo my first study b/c I didn't sleep enough. Try to do some errands, and tire yourself out. Best of luck.

oct'12 - 230lbs, pre opti - 219, post opti - 209

Peggy F.
on 6/28/12 2:54 am - Whitby, Canada
Thanks for the advice fxygal....will do.
(deactivated member)
on 6/28/12 3:39 am - Straford, Canada
 You may not sleep much, but mine showed I woke up about 200 times, and stopped breathing over 20 times, three for more than a minute!  With a CPAP and a second sleep study, I didn't wake up once, didn't stop breathing once and the humidifier on it has solved a sinus problem I have had most of my life!  

They will not operate on unresolved sleep apnea, as the risk of complications is huge!  Relax and enjoy the ride!  Regards, Ian  
Monica M.
on 6/28/12 4:06 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Dr. Glaser does his best not to delay your surgery at all. If you need a CPAP machine, he'll make sure you get it before your surgery date, which is why he asked about it. No, its not strange that he thought you would have one already.

The dietitian needs to be the toughest on you. I think follow up with them is the most important of all. (other than the surgeon to make sure you don't have complications)

I wonder if you had the same nurse as i saw on monday, Karen?

It's natural to feel defensive about your "failures", its ingrained into us to want to be. Let it all go.

Best of luck in the process!!

MissGlitter
on 6/28/12 4:27 am - Bergen Op Zoom, Netherlands
RNY on 09/07/12
 Word of advice - bring your pillow!  I just did mine last night and the pillow is what kept me from sleeping.  

Click my name to see my timeline.  "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Julia P.
on 6/28/12 4:33 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12
On June 28, 2012 at 11:27 AM Pacific Time, MissGlitter wrote:
 Word of advice - bring your pillow!  I just did mine last night and the pillow is what kept me from sleeping.  
I absolutely agree with this advice!  I brought my own pillow both times and it made a huge difference.  Also bring something to read as you may have a bit of a wait to get all hooked up for the night. 

I didn't think I'd sleep either, but I ended up sleeping for about 5 hours total both times.  They will give you a mild sleeping pill if you are having trouble as well.

Good luck!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/12 10:14 am - Toronto, ON
 Does dr glazier send everyone for a sleep test. And if so how does he determine we need it. 
Most Active
Recent Topics