Having Gastric bypass. Questions about the process.

davetrish19
on 7/5/12 5:45 am - Roslin, Canada
Hi everyone, I absolutely love this site, its a great support and I read it daily.

I have decided to have Gastric bypass surgery. Im having it in Ottawa. Ive already attended the info session in Feb 2012. They informed us that the wait might be 8 months to see the bariatric nurse but I received a letter saying my app. was July 11 2012, Can anyone tell me what is next? Will I have to have all the tests? How do they determine whether people need them. Im rather healthy, no smoking, drinking. Im so excited to start my journey however I have noticed people that are having their surgeries in  Ottawa have to wait 2 yrs till their actual surgery date. I guess Im abit disappointed. I was hoping it was quicker.

sam1am
on 7/5/12 7:07 am
I don't have any answers but I wanted to say welcome! 

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

davetrish19
on 7/5/12 8:05 am - Roslin, Canada
Thank you very much:)
JJ_
on 7/5/12 7:47 am, edited 7/5/12 7:48 am
Welcome to the forum.

I am also in Ottawa and had my surgery in December 2011.

After the NP appointment you will need appointments with the behaviourist and nutritionist.  Then with the internist.  You may be sent for a sleep study, or any other tests they feel are medically necessary based on your history.

Then it is time for the Surgical Education class and meet the surgeon.  The surgeon gives you a prescription for Optifast that you pick up at the front desk (pay for it).  Then you wait for a call to start Optifast and your surgery date.

ETA:  Then you have the pre-admission testing at the hospital prior to surgery.

Judy
davetrish19
on 7/5/12 8:05 am - Roslin, Canada
Btrue2u
on 7/5/12 2:50 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
I just wanted to welcome you

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

davetrish19
on 7/6/12 6:38 am - Roslin, Canada
 Thank you:)
Chanelle1022
on 7/5/12 11:41 pm
Hey!

I had orientation Jan 6th in Ottawa and was also told it would be 8mths-12mths before we hear from them, and to my surprise I received a phone call in June for my first NP appointment!!!

I am going to the WLC on July 11th as well! I have bloodwork at 730am and I am meeting with Vanessa the NP at 8:30am!!!

Yay for us!! :)
davetrish19
on 7/6/12 6:32 am - Roslin, Canada
 That is fantastic!

Very excited for you. I cant wait to get the ball rolling. 

Good luck:)
cheeky_monkey
on 7/8/12 9:49 am, edited 7/8/12 9:49 am - Ottawa ON, Canada
Yup, what Judy said. 

I'm out of Ottawa as well and I'm still pre-op.  I didn't need any extra tests or follow-ups, you can see from my timeline below how it's going so far.

Good luck!!!

Referral:  April 2011 <> OrientationOttawa July 15, 2011  <> Nurse:  April 16, 2012 <> Abdominal Ultrasound:  May 2, 2012 <> Behaviourist/Dietitian:  May 8, 2012 <> Education Class: July 11, 2012 <> Meet the Surgeon: July 31, 2012 <> Surgery Date: August 27, 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics