Just got home from having a surgery :(

Kerigan
on 9/11/12 6:17 pm
 Hey everyone, 

I'm sorry for not posting very often lately.. I've sort of been depressed since my husband had to return to England at the end of August (we're newlyweds), and haven't felt much like communicating with anyone - I know that's not the best way to go about it though... I do hope you are all keeping well :) I've been reading posts on the boards a few times a week to sort of stay in the loop, but for some reason I've held back on making any replys.. So I do apologise for that! 

So I've just made it home from the hospital after having a surgery to remove a cyst. I'll make a long story short - Sunday morning when I woke up, I had pain 'down there' that felt really odd. Later on in the day I noticed I had a marble sized painful lump, which concerned me right away. As the day progressed, I was having a lot of pain while sitting, and when I checked the lump, it was a little smaller than a golf ball. I discussed it with my husband, and we decided that if it wasn't any better by morning, I'd go to emerg. 

Monday morning when I woke up, the lump was the size of an egg, and was extremely painful to sit and stand and walk around. I had to go to work for 630am, which I really didn't want to do, however went in anyway. I had a relief worker come in at 10am, and after having a discussion with my bosses, I made it to emerg by 12pm. I was at emerg for 5 hours, and after seeing a gynocologist surgeon, it was determined that I had a Bartholin's Cyst. The surgeon wanted to wait for 3 or 4 days to see how it would do on its own, which resulted in me bawling my eyes out, as I couldn't work without being in massive amounts of pain. 

This morning, I was to report to his office for a checkup to see how it was, and would decide if surgery would happen today or not - when I got there, his receptionist immediately said that I had to report to day surgery at 1pm and that I was booked for surgery!

So I had the surgery around 5pm tonight, and fortunately everything went well! Apparently this cyst that I had was roughly the size of a baseball and it was filled with blood and had a blood clot in it. Nasty. I'm in tons of pain now that I'm home, so I'm hoping that won't last too long. I'm so glad I had this surgery today though, rather than waiting for another 3 or 4 days!! This thing grew more and more each day, so I can't imagine what it would have been like a few days from now. It blows my mind that this cyst developed so quickly!!! Who would have thought... 

Has anyone else ever had one of these cysts and had it operated on? I'm curious to know what the recovery time frame is like.. I've read a few things on the internet, and some say it takes weeks, others say it takes days to recover. I'm due back at work next Tuesdsay, so hoping that it's enough time to recover properly.

I don't even have anyone at home to help take care of me :( my husband is in England, and my parents are in the states at the moment, so it's just me and the dog. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't run into any complications!

Anyway, that's my sad little story lol.. Just wanted to share, and perhaps this will be a way to reintegrate myself into this wonderful community :)

Thanks for reading!
Keri
Marny B.
on 9/11/12 6:28 pm - Canada
Keri...that sounds like an awful situation.  I am glad to hear that you had the surgery though, without delay, and that you are already home and healing.  Cheer up.  I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time  :)  How shocking that this thing could crop up so quickly!  Sorry to hear your hubby is so far away.  I am sure he wants to be back and taking care of you :(  I had a friend who married someone from New Zealand, and her had to go back for a while as well.  It was tough on her, so I think I can understanda tiny bit of what you must be going through.  Keep your chin up,post on OH, and pamper yourself in the next week!

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

Kerigan
on 9/11/12 6:42 pm
 Thanks for your reply Marny! It was/is a horrible situation.. I'm so glad I was able to walk into emerg one day, and be coming out of surgery the next day! It would have been unbearable to wait.. I have many thanks to give to the surgeon! I have never even heard of such a thing before, and I hope to hell that I never get one again! Nor do I wish that anyone else get one either - it's quite an unpleasant thing, and there really isn't any reason for getting one. It just happens.. go figure lol. 
I'll try to keep my spirits up while I'm healing.. it is really difficult for me to be separated from my husband all the time. We've been long distance dating between England and Canada for 2 years.. we just got married on August 8th, and he had to go back to England at the end of August. Hopefully we'll get the immigration paperwork finished soon and can apply for him to come live here. He feels so bad that he can't be here, and I'm sure I don't make it any easier on him lol. I can't image what it would have been like for your friend in New Zealand either.. it is a very very tough situation, but I think it makes our relationship stronger! 
I'll definitely be pampering myself this week :) and I really need to post more on here.. there are so many great people I'd like to have a connection with, or become friends with.. I have one friend in my own personal life, but we don't speak too often, so it'd be nice to make a friend or two on here!
Cuter_w_Curves
on 9/11/12 6:47 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
OMG! Big hugs and lots of healing thoughts.

I can't say I had one opperated on but I did have one. Mine was the size of a marble on waking one morning and I hit a walk in clinic. The Dr I saw was really sweet and he told me it would either go down on it's own, continue going up and need surgery, or I could use heat to see if I could unclog the duct it was in.

Needless to say... I spent nearly 6 hours holding perpetual hot packs there. Boil a kettle, make a new one, repeat (someone else manning the kettle). It actually unblocked and I lucked out... Basically burning that one area with ho****er in tupperware type containers. *blush*

I am so sorry they let it go on so long, and even more so that no one thought to tell you to try heat. It wasn't comfortable but it was worth it.

Shell

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Kerigan
on 9/11/12 6:57 pm
 Thanks for the hugs and healing thoughts Shell! That sucks you've had one of these too, but I'm glad to hear you got it sorted out so quickly! I didn't think to go to a walk in clinic, however I don't think on a Sunday morning, that one would have been open anyway. I suppose it was my fault that I let it go on for so long before seeking treatment.. it really did seem like it grew by the hour though, so I don't even think a heat pad would have helped, but I suppose I'll never know! Nor do I want a repeat occurrence to find out if that would have helped haha.. 

Once I did go in to emerg, things did move along a lot quicker than I would have expected (after I cried like a little girl!). At least its sorted now, so let the healing begin! The pain level at the moment is quite high, and the pain meds don't seem to be doing much. 

Again, I'm so glad to hear that yours was easier to treat and it didn't get too bad! I wouldn't wish this on anyone lol

Cuter_w_Curves
on 9/11/12 7:09 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
On September 12, 2012 at 1:57 AM Pacific Time, Kerigan wrote:
 Thanks for the hugs and healing thoughts Shell! That sucks you've had one of these too, but I'm glad to hear you got it sorted out so quickly! I didn't think to go to a walk in clinic, however I don't think on a Sunday morning, that one would have been open anyway. I suppose it was my fault that I let it go on for so long before seeking treatment.. it really did seem like it grew by the hour though, so I don't even think a heat pad would have helped, but I suppose I'll never know! Nor do I want a repeat occurrence to find out if that would have helped haha.. 

Once I did go in to emerg, things did move along a lot quicker than I would have expected (after I cried like a little girl!). At least its sorted now, so let the healing begin! The pain level at the moment is quite high, and the pain meds don't seem to be doing much. 

Again, I'm so glad to hear that yours was easier to treat and it didn't get too bad! I wouldn't wish this on anyone lol

I'll be honest... With the speed at which mine turned up... There is little doubt that mine was rapidly progressing as well. I just happened to luck out with it being a Monday.

As for clinics open on a Sunday... I know a number of them are but I recall one from when I was downtown. I only remember them because they've been there forever... http://www.albanyclinic.ca/ for future info. Even on Holidays they are open for a few hours... I spent x-mas there with a friend once.

More gentle hugs,
Shell

Kerigan
on 9/11/12 7:12 pm
 Thanks so much for the link! I think in future if something goes wrong, I'll just go straight to emerg. It would be easier & quicker to go there as opposed to driving to Toronto (I'm in Orillia). That being said, it might be a nice drive on a Sunday afternoon if there isn't cottage country traffic!
Cuter_w_Curves
on 9/11/12 7:57 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
ouchies... Orillia. Didin't realize. I believe the Barrie ones are open Sundays (unless things have changd drastically since my Georgian days).

LOL... I lived in a lot of places.

sam1am
on 9/11/12 6:54 pm
 Ouch!  Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Kerigan
on 9/11/12 6:57 pm
 aww thanks so much! 
Most Active
Recent Topics