Pre-op NSV

Sarahs_journey
on 9/14/12 10:14 pm - London, Canada
 Hi folks, I am pre-op and preparing for my social worker and dietician appointments at St.Jo's Hamilton next week.  In preparation I have been trying to make lifestyle changes now that will support having surgery.  I am proud to share with you that today marks 5 weeks that I have cut diet coke out of my life, four weeks that I have been fast food free, and today I returned to the gym by joining an aquavit class!  I am sore tonight but I feel hopeful that I am on the journey to reclaiming my self confidence, health and life!  
What did you/ are you doing to prepare for surgery and make lifestyle changes in advance of surgery?  What should my next goal/change be?
"Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible!"
Audrey Hepburn     
ShallowGirl
on 9/14/12 11:09 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
 Excellent work !!!

The hardest thing for me was going sugar free.  I donèt know if your center recommends it.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

dna
on 9/15/12 4:28 am - Canada
Wow, that's fantastic !

Not sure what your next goal should be.  Maybe just maintaining what you have already accomplished :) 

Keep up the great work ! 
Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

4-Jane
on 9/15/12 7:31 am - Canada
 Hey Sarah I've been contemplating  weight loss surgery   for several years and in this year the year I began my process I have quite smoking. Sarah, secretly I first quit thinking I would smoke again after surgery but I have done really well with it and I don't want to be a prisoner to that habit.
 I have also began eating breakfast well protein shakes and am studying vitamins for optimal health hair and skin.  For me that has included using making all my own products for washing my hair and skin as well as creams.  
I have begun to try hard to increase my protein intake as it is low and so this has meant cooking with non meat proteins and learning to cook and eat more fish.  Others things are reading and a sometimes adding input at this oh site.  Drinking more water and choosing greet plain fat free yogurt or low sugar products more often mind you I did have chips yesterday.  My family really notice the changes and have been really supportive.  It's amazing Sarah how change begins as an idea then takes hold and grows upon our successes so enjoy your new self,  as each step is creating a healthier you.  Best wishes always
 Respectfully Jane
becauseican
on 9/15/12 7:46 am - Canada

Mindful eating--paying attention to each bite you put in your mouth; savouring it; chewing each bite 25 times; putting down your spoon/fork between bites; removing distractions while eating (TV, reading, computer); just plain eating slower which allows your body time to let you know you're full before you stuff more food in.  I still haven't mastered this, but still trying (as I read the OH posts while eating my porridge!)

TanyaLH
on 9/15/12 10:31 am - London, Canada
RNY on 05/31/13
Hi Sarah, first of all, AWESOME job!!!
I'm also preparing for my first appts with RN, SW, and dietitcian. I am 2 weeks without diet pop and I am working on cutting out the caffine. I have started my food journal.
I am also making sure I get my water in and some kind of exercise. Thankfully the dog loves to go for walks.

All the best.
sam1am
on 9/15/12 10:51 am
Congratulations, it sounds like you are doing wonderfully!  You could also add tracking your food on something like myfitnesspal and increasing your water intake.

Again, great job!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/12 1:24 pm - Straford, Canada
 all good suggestions for your next goals/steps.  I would be measuring my water intake, use a refillable bottle familar to you or pick one up, know how many mils it is full and begin keeping track (just loosely, shouldn't have to make it a job) and ensure your centre's guidlines are being exceeded.  And get used to what 60 to 80 grams of protein looks like in foods you will be eating after wls.  Just my ideas, smooth sailing!  
Sarahs_journey
on 9/15/12 7:07 pm - London, Canada
how much water should I be aiming for?  I do currently drink about 2-3 L of water/day.  Water is my drink of choice since cutting out the diet Coke.  Thanks, Sarah
Most Active
Recent Topics