Still Painful

cheeky_monkey
on 9/14/12 3:01 pm - Ottawa ON, Canada

I had my surgery on Aug 27. That's 18 days. They told me that the pain in the left side would go away after about a week at home.  NOT!!  It is still quite painful. Expecially getting out of a chair or walking. When I called the centre I was just told...be patient. 

Anyone else have that pain last?
And how long did it last before it went away?

Referral:  April 2011 <> OrientationOttawa July 15, 2011  <> Nurse:  April 16, 2012 <> Abdominal Ultrasound:  May 2, 2012 <> Behaviourist/Dietitian:  May 8, 2012 <> Education Class: July 11, 2012 <> Meet the Surgeon: July 31, 2012 <> Surgery Date: August 27, 2012

dna
on 9/14/12 3:10 pm - Canada
I am 15 days out and a day or so ago it finally let go.  It's an awful grabby pinchy like pain ? 

I was told that it may be an extra stitch or two and that it will dissolve.

I had to lay down flat with legs bent at the knees for it to subside. 

I hope it goes away for you soon !
Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/12 3:25 pm - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Sorry to hear you still have pain. I am pre op so no advise just best wishes. 
brenda65
on 9/14/12 4:00 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Mine lasted about 2 months
January 14 2011- Orientation at WMC
July 4- Sugery

P_Floyd
on 9/14/12 8:06 pm - Canada
 Life is painful. While you are healing from a major surgery, it's going to take time for your body to mend. 18 days is a very short time and you will need much longer than this before you can reasonably expect to be pain free. It should grow less and less as time passes and you should be more able to deal with the pain as you get accustomed to it. 

Take things easy, don't push yourself, and let the process take it's course. Get up and walk, embrace the idea of your new mobility so as the weight comes off, and it will come off, you can make the changes in your lifestyle to become and more active and healthy you. 

When pain becomes unbearable, take some relief via the pain killers the hospital sent home with you. When those are gone, use Tylenol (do not use NSAIDS) for relief of minor pain. If pain become very bad and doesn't subside in a few hours, call the nurse or head to the emergency room where they performed the surgery to get things checked out.

All the best and here's to a speedy recovery.

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

slrm2m2
on 9/14/12 8:50 pm - Canada
 My pain went away gradually...and I would say that it was completely gone by about 6 weeks out.  But......your body may never go back to feeling completely normal again.  The pouch can act up occassionally and you now have a permanently altered digestive system!  At 8 months out, I am still aware of feelings in my pouch, especially when I eat or drink, that are unique to the post-op period.  But I don't have any pain at all, but its not the same as having my old stomach.  Of course, in time, a new normal is established and things settle down.  But pouches do seem a tad more unpredicatable than stomachs and it can take a while to get yours figured out.

Relax and enjoy the healing process.  Congrats on your successful surgery.
Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

ShallowGirl
on 9/14/12 11:13 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
I was not in pain 3 weeks out. Minor aches maybe.

I would call your surgeon, not the center. He or she knows what they did to you and cares that the surgery itself is complication free.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Diana B.
on 9/15/12 11:50 am
RNY on 07/20/12
I was in pain for about 3 weeks and one day it suddenly disappeared. The pain had been worst getting up from a chair, trying to sleep on my side, and was really painful trying to get out of bed. Hang in there! It'll let up soon. 
Referral Sent to Ottawa WMC December 16th 2010
Info Session/First Appointment March 25th 2011
Surgical Assessment January 3rd 2012
Dietitian and Behaviourist February 15th 2012
Abdominal Ultrasound May 8 2012
Surgical Education Class June 13 2012
Surgeon Appointment June 28 2012
SURGERY!!!!! July 20 2012

mermaidz
on 9/15/12 1:12 pm - Brampton, Canada
Call your surgeon.

If you are having that much discomfort, get it looked after. We're not "wired' the same way anymore and to still be ... that uncomfy?

dna? perfect description.. pinchy crampy grabby lol.. if I overdo it  it "speaks pinch" lol

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Susan B.
on 9/15/12 4:26 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12
I had pain till about 2.5 months out~My hubby had almost no pain the day after surgery-everyone is different.  Pain is about your body healing everyone is individual and you need to listen to it and pay attention.

You have followed up with your surgical center so you have done what you should do now you just have to rest and recouperate.

Get a good book and a mug of tea/water/protien shake/your choice ~lay back and enjoy the peace and quiet

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

Most Active
Recent Topics