embarrassed by wls?

nata
on 9/20/12 11:16 am - Ottawa, Canada
This post is not intended to anyone particular, just I see this "idea" quite often and felt it's time to speak out.

I could never understand people, feeling "somewhat a failure" for doing wls. " I should have try harder with Diet and exercise-blah-blah-crap".

THAT"S WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE with wls!

98% of all nonsurgical weight loss processes FAIL. I wonder why? 30% of Canadian population are overweight or obese... 30% are the weaklings with no will power..

This stupid mantra that we should lose on our own is good for skinny b.t.ch.s., losing most of calories due to natural body processes, like breathing and pumping blood, while our bodies use less energy for these things and store the excess... (Base Metabolic Rate for heaven's sake).

Come on, it's not rocket science that other things don't work. We've got guts to go under knife, have will power to keep going with wls diet and most of us exercise, how is it a failure compared to those who never had to move a finger for their naturally thin bodies?

I was overweight at 3. I was obese at 10, even though my skinny family fed me equally with my skinny sister.  I was on a diet for all my life, I was hungry all my life, I run 3-5 km almost every day since I was 15. I ended up weighing 350 pounds. Yes, during pregnancy and after having a baby I ate way too much, but before that I was always-dieting-running-250pounder. How is that a failure that I went to friggin Michigan, just a month after another patient died and went under the knife? And got normal and healthy?

If you don't respect your way, no one will. You'll feel shameful and embarrassed for saving your life and for doing a very brave thing. It all starts in your own head.

Rant is over.

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
niceeyes72
on 9/20/12 11:22 am - Cornwall, Canada
RNY on 03/23/12
Thank you Nata for posting this!!!!
We  all have taken a huge step and I know it was the right choice for me!!
I guess I felt guilty for a while because the weight was just falling off..... But now that it is slowing down, it does take work.....

Thanks again for the reminder!!!!

Tam
Highest Weight: 365lbs
Clinic Weight: 325lbs
Clinic goal:190 lbs
Current Weight: 176.4lbs
My goal:165lbs
Surgery: Dr. Yelle Ottawa on March 23, 2012

nata
on 9/20/12 5:52 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Keep going, it's not easy but doable!
Good luck!
Nata, a very happy DSer!

204 pounds lost!!!!
Monica M.
on 9/20/12 11:22 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
I read so many posts about people who have had negative responses to their "admission" that they have had WLS.

I have had ZERO negative responses. I am not exaggerating, nor am i bragging about my exceptional group of family, friends and acquaintances.

I have often wondered if my lack of negative responses is because i give off ZERO negative vibes about my choice to have this life altering surgery.

I am entirely comfortable with my decision. When people ask me how i lost weight, i tell them i had WLS, and now i'm relying on portion control and exercise to get me to my goal weight.

I am not embarrassed, I'm the exact opposite.

I did a brave thing. I love myself because of it.

msheavyhearted
on 9/20/12 12:39 pm - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
Amen, Sista!!

I've taken your approach and am very forthcoming to everyone. I am not ashamed one bit. I never thought that perhaps the reactions I was getting were related to how I presented myself and my decision. Thanks for the insight, Monica.

P.S. I love myself, too!
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

Monica M.
on 9/20/12 12:55 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
well, who wouldnt love you!! you're gorgeous, insightful, and wise, and motivating!!!! (still marvelling at the 70k a week.... )

nata
on 9/20/12 5:48 pm - Ottawa, Canada
yes! yes! yes!

Ditto to every word!. Not a single negative remark in four years and I'm VERY open about my surgery.
It all come from us. we project our feelings, doubts, shame or pride, and people around only reflect it all.
Nata, a very happy DSer!

204 pounds lost!!!!
Monica M.
on 9/20/12 6:10 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
you get what you give, sister. Love ya!!!

stephanie2011
on 9/21/12 1:26 pm - toronto, Canada
I am with you on this one Monica.  I think that it actually takes a very strong person to make the decision to go under the knife, with all its inherent risks, for the purpose of bettering our lives for ourselves and our children (for those who have them).    I think we are all very brave and I know that I also love myself for making this decision. 

I have a hard time not telling people especially those who I think would also benefit from such a life saving surgery.  The journey continues...

Steph

Referral: Aug 3, 2010       Info Session: Dec 12, 2011   
Nurse Appt: Jan 30, 2012    Diet/Nut Appt: Feb 8, 2012
Surgery Class: Jan 24, 2012
Meet Surgeon: Feb 8,2012    Start Optifast: April 24, 2012
Surgery Date: May 8, 2012

Hannahmumma03
on 9/20/12 4:42 am, edited 9/20/12 4:42 am - Oshawa Ontario, Canada
thank you for your post Nata!! I find out tomorrow when my surgery date will be and I have never felt that WLS is "taking the easy way out" or that "I am a failure" for going this route!! When its surgery day, I will go into that O.R. ready for this and will "rock my tool". Every friend and beloved family member is behind me on this 100% and I am very thankful for that. I am doing what's best for me and they are in turn wanting that too!

Christie

Referral August 18th 2011               Orientation Dec 7th 2011
SW Jan 12 2012                                  Nurse Jan 12 2012
Nut. Class Feb 8th 2012                  Psych  May 16th 2012
Dietician May 16th 2012                   Meet The Surgeon Sept 21 2012
PATTS: November 19th 2012           Surgery: November 29th 2012

My Angel is: Brenda T. 

Most Active
Recent Topics