Questions for when I am on Optifast.

Hannahmumma03
on 9/22/12 6:07 am - Oshawa Ontario, Canada
 I will be starting Optifast on November 8th for 21 days....just wondering what products everyone used if they suffered from diarrhea or constipation during that stage of the journey?

Thanks so much for any info shared!!

Christie

Referral August 18th 2011               Orientation Dec 7th 2011
SW Jan 12 2012                                  Nurse Jan 12 2012
Nut. Class Feb 8th 2012                  Psych  May 16th 2012
Dietician May 16th 2012                   Meet The Surgeon Sept 21 2012
PATTS: November 19th 2012           Surgery: November 29th 2012

My Angel is: Brenda T. 

Julia P.
on 9/22/12 6:21 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12
I bought Metamucil capsules to take with each shake, on someone's reco here.  Apparently they can be really helpful.

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

mermaidz
on 9/22/12 6:47 am - Brampton, Canada
Drink water. And then more water. If you are allowed the two cups of veggies, eat them daily. My bowels were active on the Optifast but I wouldn't say diarrhea. Just more often than usual but I was also consuming gargantuan amounts of water

And then drink more water. I found that people who got bunged up while on the Optifast generally weren't drinking as much water as they should?

But wait til you get there before you become concerned about this stuff :O)

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

JJ_
on 9/22/12 6:49 am
Hi Christie,

I am in Ottawa, and we are told to buy the Metamucil capsules to treat both diarrhea AND constipation.  The basics are 2-3 capsules PER Optifast.  The first week I had severe diarrhea and was told by the APN to up the number of capsules to 5 per drink.  My family doctor took me off the water pill I was taking for high blood pressure.  That definitely helped.

Judy
BluEyedCin
on 9/22/12 7:35 am
thanks for the tip ... I think this will be an issue for me

ARE YOU FROM NORTHERN ONTARIO

IF SO EMAIL ME AT

[email protected]

SURGERY DEC 3 2012

Laura H.
on 9/22/12 7:42 am - Canada
 I was told to benefibre in my optifast.  I did in the beginning but I have always been regular so by the end I wasn't.  I didn't have diarrhea but I was loose.  TMI???

Laura H.

Peggy V.
on 9/22/12 7:48 am - Azilda Ont, Canada
 I'm on optifast now and I'm getting these headachs right after I drink it. and  have had both constipation and diarrhea. I'm glad you asked I was never told I could take anything to help with the diarrhea or anything. I've lost 8lbs now, my operation is on the 27th :)
 Good Luck Christie!

lookinginto
on 9/22/12 8:42 am
 I  never had any problems on Optifast. I quite enjoyed it when I used crushed ice and water in a blender to make it. I think I made it a bit more watery than the instructions but that's about it. The taste of the shakes was good. 
Peggy V.
on 9/22/12 9:15 am - Azilda Ont, Canada
 I do the same to make it ice in the blender with a little shot of banana extract for time to time. Its good ice cold. It just doesn't like me I don't think. lol
time2changeme
on 9/22/12 6:06 pm
I have not had either, but I have Milk Of Magnesia on hand for just in case.
I think it would be great to be able to have 2 cups of veg daily, I am just on
Opti-fast, black tea and 1 cup of clear soup broth a day, for 6 weeks. 
I am finding some days to be a real challenge, I hope I can do this!

Good luck on your journey and keep us posted :-) 
Most Active
Recent Topics