Update

Derek C.
on 10/5/12 5:22 am - North Bay , Canada
Hi all - been a long time since I've posted so i had a few minutes so I thought i would update

Lets see where to being - i really have level led off in my weight - hovering between 187-191 lbs which is very comfy for me however , dietitian at TWH says i could try to get to 180.

Im having some food issues - ie i have no problem eating junk and seem to be falling into old habits .  i have no problems with sugar and really it is starting to scare me . I really don't track or really make good choices lately - don't know why im sharing this - maybe i need to be scolded or yelled at but hey im sharing . Finally on the bad side - im having pain on my lower left side and experiencing some colon related issues - surgeons at TWH did some tests and cant figure it out cause  in their own words - its an intestinal wasteland on that side and since they start from the worst case scenario and work back - i will be having an abdominal CT Scan on Nov 16 and both an upper and lower GI inspection on Nov 29th - Worst case scenario is colon cancer - best case is hemorrhoids LOL - i know TMI .  However it is being addressed

On the good side im now a runner - i run approx 15-20 Km per week and will be running in a 5km race next weekend .  My sleep apnea is now manageable - i went from setting of 24/16 on a bi-pap machine to my current setting of 13/8 - its like sleeping in a gentle breeze .

Finally my wife (babybuggie) is doing soooo well - she just celebrated her 1 year surgiversary on Tuesday - i wish i had her motivation and drive but im so proud of her .

Thanks for all of your words on this fourm over the past year and a bit and even though im really not a regular anymore - i still do lurk from time to time .

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

Nathalie_Can
on 10/5/12 6:02 am
No scolding or yelling from me, I think we all make our own decisions and noone should have the right to judge.

The running is probably saving you right now from the "bad" choices as you mentioned....lol...but just by writing this, sometimes it makes us open our eyes when we admit what we are doing and sometimes helps on making different choices, the right ones for you...."sometimes"  lmao  So so easy to fall back and eat a little bit more here and there and when we open our eyes its like wtf am I doing.  Hope you can find your way back to "good" choices.

Hope the doctors find what's wrong and it's nothing serious that they can fix and you'll be back to normal.

So happy your wife is doing well!

Happy long weekend,
Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

Patm
on 10/5/12 7:17 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
I won't scold either. Just suggest keeping a food log. Makes me take a second to decide why I am eating something. Good luck and I hope the pain goes away

Cuter_w_Curves
on 10/5/12 9:55 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
Um... I am sure sooner or later someone will scold you or yell at you if you really want them to but it shan't be me either.

Instead I will ask you this:

Did you start falling into them before the pain started or after?

And:

Why not plan it... Plan what I call "smart junk"... Smart junk is where you consume something that tastes like it is bad for you, looks like it should be bad for you... But really isn't all that bad for you. Protein bar with chocolate chips... meat chips... crackers made out of cheese. Oh yes... there are some wicked ideas out there that taste amazing.

If it is a matter of convenient food you know how to fix that... Those egg bites are wickely wonderful, etc.

I guess what I am trying to point out is... Figure out the "why" because without that... It won't be something you "want to avoid"... And make it work for you.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/12 11:39 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Nice to see you back posting Derek. I hope you can get ahold of the Bad Habits and get them in control quickly. Sorry to hear you are having health issues. I hope you get some answers soon.   
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/12 12:16 pm - Canada
 it's never too late to get back on the wagon. We all support you
ShallowGirl
on 10/5/12 2:13 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
 Smart junk - I like it.  

I agree with Kingston Guy.

I don`t believe people can be perfect, so I try to change one bad habit for another.  Instead of sugar I dye my hair a lot.  

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Cuter_w_Curves
on 10/5/12 2:47 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
Smart Junk works... I quite literally have an entire cupboard of tea that tastes like anything from jasmine to deserts... almost all loose leaf. Pumpkin spice will taste like pumpkin pie with whip cream if I add milk or almond milk.... with 2-3 drops of french vanilla stevia... For example. It's caffine free tea for the most part too.

Let alone things that are not just "fluid requirements" though... What about things from these sites:
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.ca/
http://geokatgirl.wordpress.com/category/food/
http://ec2app14.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Honestly... There are so many ways people have found to make this work.

Smart junk is awesome... Meat chips... Cheese crackers... So many other things. The black bean chocolate cake with the cream cheese daub of icing and topped with a sugar free mint...

Smart junk has it's place in the post-op world. You just have to choose to go there.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

hjoanneg9000
on 10/14/12 6:35 am - North Bay, Canada
RNY on 10/02/12
 Just had surgery.  I will tell  you that having had complications, it's hard for me to hear that you can slip into old habits.  This surgery is such a gift to change our lives.  Forfeiting that is  just so.....I don't know....like refusing a gift.   Pull it together, track your food, remind yourself how hard it was to have this surgery, remind yourself that our guts are completely replumbed by modern science to keep us safe from our habits.  The least we can do is stay true and be healthy.  As my Dr. says, please, be the poster child.
Heather

Most Active
Recent Topics