Reactive hypoglycemia

linda11665
on 10/5/12 12:53 am - Ottawa, Canada
Does everyone suffer from this after having Gastric Bypass?  I do know of my mentor who suffers from this.  But I was wondering if everyone does?

Linda

Choose love, power, and acceptance instead of what we default to which is fear, dependence, and intolerance
Monica M.
on 10/5/12 12:55 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
like everything else about this, RH is a very individual thing. Not everyone does. just like not everyone dumps, not everyone has trouble digesting meat, not everyone does anything.

linda11665
on 10/5/12 12:56 am - Ottawa, Canada
Thanks Monica.  I was just getting worried being 13months out.  I am hearing alot about this.

Choose love, power, and acceptance instead of what we default to which is fear, dependence, and intolerance
kellybelly333
on 10/5/12 1:15 am - Toronto, Canada
Not everyone has it. I do...and had it on the early side starting with my first episode at 9 months out.

The other people I know who have it are over 3 years out. No idea why some get it, and others don't. And I think that people walk around not knowing they have it. That's what fasting blood work is for :-)

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

PatXYZ
on 10/5/12 1:56 am
A study published last year by Dr. Roslin in NY showed that Glucose Tolerance Testing results demonstrate 72% of people at least 6 months out from RNY have evidence of reactive hypoglycaemia, a further 17% in his sample had results that showed diabetes (half of those who were diabetic pre-operatively either never lost their diabetes or saw it come back), so a total of 89% of RNY post-ops had blood sugar abnormalities. RH is linked to dumping and understood as a common complication, or perhaps even a side-effect of RNY that tends to become apparent 18 months or 2 years or more after surgery. It is something that everyone with a RNY should be be monitored for and know is a risk.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21184112
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
ShallowGirl
on 10/6/12 2:40 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
I had reactive hypoglycemia (or post prandial hypoglycemia) before RNY.

It means that after you eat something ie high carb, your body produces too much insulin, so you get a low blood sugar feeling, even though you just ate.

I used to work in a hospital and I checked my blood sugar during these episodes and it was 60.  (US scale).

I haven't had it since surgery, except the first fruit I ate, a plum, I got light headed after 1/2 of it.

I am only 3 months tho' so not in the key group.

I think the solution is smaller, more frequent, lower carb/sugar meals. 

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Most Active
Recent Topics