New weight loss strategy... have all my organs removed.

PWA93
on 10/9/12 6:50 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
 Had the RNY done Feb. 2 of this year.  Got sick Canada Day long weekend and ended up having my appendix removed.   Thanksgiving long weekend got sick again and this time it is gallstones.  Was in the hospital Sunday night and Monday morning for tests.  Seeing my surgeon on Friday and will hopefully have it out soon after that.  Right now the pain meds are helping me through the day.

Anyone else had their gallbladder removed after WLS?  Any issues with digestion afterwords or anything else I need to know?

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/12 6:54 am - Vaughan, Canada
I had my gall bladder removed last December because of the rapid weight loss from my RNY.  The surgery went well although, I found the recouperation a little more difficult than the RNY.  Everything after was fine.  For a while now, they thought I had another stone in my liver which after an MRI is not the case.  Sometimes I get these pains that are similar to gallbladder pain but they are not sure if it's just gas or a possible ulcer.  I'm just waiting on another scope to make sure.  Other than that, everything is great.
sam1am
on 10/9/12 8:16 am

Gall bladder surgery is quite common after surgery and can be a result of rapid weight loss, so you will see that several people on here, have had that surgery.  I'm not so sure about why our appendix's are a problem, but I had mine out when I was 8  

Try to hang on to your other organs if possible, LOL!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Laura H.
on 10/9/12 8:22 am - Canada
I had mine removed 28 years ago and just had wls 3 weeks ago.  No problems so far.  Good luck!

Laura H.

mermaidz
on 10/9/12 8:26 am - Brampton, Canada
I had my gallbladder out a couple of years ago. Not sure why they just don't take it out when they are in there mucking about. Especially given that it seems to be a recurrent issue for WLS pts

Personally? I'd hang on to the liver, lungs/heart, spleen and maybe a couple of feet of intestines if I were you.

.......just saying

Hope you feel better very soon.. and lose the gallbladder! lol

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

highlandbear
on 10/9/12 9:47 am - Canada
 I had mine out after WLS surgery.  I had huge problems with digestion but I also had candy cane sydrome. Infact I may have had my gallblader out when it was not necessary. Good news for you is it a very short time of healing. I went camping 4 days after surgery. I was sleeping on the ground and hiking with no problem.  Loved the meds. Good luck
JJ_
on 10/9/12 10:12 am
Wow what a guy will do to lose more weight!!  LOL

Glad to hear that you are recovering nicely.  I still have my organs, so I do not have any words of wisdom.

Judy
(deactivated member)
on 10/9/12 11:48 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
I think Ian had his out two weeks after his WLS.
ShallowGirl
on 10/9/12 2:08 pm, edited 10/9/12 4:27 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
Apparently Long Weekends are not good for you. 

FYI, you only need 1 kidney, 1/2 your liver, and your spleen is also optional.  (For the Christmas/Boxing Day holiday).

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/12 9:26 pm - Straford, Canada
 yup I had my gallbladder out 2 weeks after rny.  Not enough time imo.  They were supposed to do both at the same time but ran out of OR time.  I found rny easy peasy, gallbladder not so much.  They went in with all new incisions near the rny ones and it caused a lot of pain and resulting constipation and eating/drinking problems cause I was so stoned.  It got better but would never recommend both surgeries close together.  

One thing I have become aware of with much reading is gallstones can get lodged in tubes heading towards liver, and if not found while they yank the gallbladder can continue causing problems until untrasound finally sees it and they go back in for it.  I have no idea how rare this is, just thought you should know about it.  

As my rny and GB were so close together I'm not a good one to ask about digestive issues, any issues I have had could have been from one, the other or combination of the two.  

Like previous posts I would try hanging on to your liver, heart and at least one lung and one kidney at the very least!  
Most Active
Recent Topics