Proferrin - 4 years post op

Natasha B.
on 10/23/12 2:54 am - North Bay, Canada
Hello fellow OHers!!

I pop in now and again to see what's new and what's happening with everyone and to follow up on journeys, ask new questions etc.

I'll share a bit about what's going in with me 4 years post Op.

I had the DS done August 2008 with Dr. L. my starting weight was 294 lbs and within 15 months I reached Dr. L's goal of 125 lbs. I have a bounce back of 10 lbs.

My health was excellent and i was feeling great up until recently when I was hospitalized in July with a 73 hemoglobin count and was given a blood transfusion. Since then I have had two upper GIs a colonoscopy, ultrasound, and biopsy ofmy uterus to dind the source of my blood loss. All tests were clear (I do have a hiatus hernia) and they figure it is a combination of my DS and my menstral cycle (every 18 days for 7 days, extreemly heavy flow) I have a consult for abolation of my uterus and am currently on BC to completly stop my period until then.

I am now in IV Iron therapy because even after my transfusion and oral iron supplements my iron level has dropped way below normal again. I started my first IV today and am going twice a week for 4 weeks.

The nurse mentioned to be about Proferrin. Does anyone know anything about this iron supplement and are you currently using it?

Thanks all in advance! I am so tired (pun intended) of feeling like this for so long!

ShallowGirl
on 10/23/12 3:01 am, edited 10/23/12 3:02 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Natasha B.
on 10/23/12 6:02 am - North Bay, Canada
thanks for the link!! Iron salts failed me. I took them for 5 weeks religiously and my hemo dropped 10 pts.

Hopefully you will not have this kind of issue and it will be an easy fix!

Karen M.
on 10/23/12 3:09 am, edited 10/23/12 3:10 am - Mississauga, Canada
HI Natasha!

Your experience mimics mine exactly. I've had 3 blood transfusions, 10 weeks of iron infusions, etc etc etc.  I'm waiting to have a hysterectomy to hopefully resolve this.  I tried Proferrin and it was very easy on the stomach, but unfortunately didn't help my iron levels.  After my infusions I started taking FeraMax - so far, my levels seem to be holding okay, but time will tell.

Wishing you the best! 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Natasha B.
on 10/23/12 5:59 am - North Bay, Canada
Hi Karen!!

Wow!! I'm not the only one! This sucks!!! I'm happy that I am not alone in this situation and that I can find support.

Is the fermax a prescription? What is your does and how do u take it with the rest of your suppliments.

Have you considered abalation or do you just want the lady bits gone? I'm struggling with this decision as well. I'm 32 with 2 kids (6 and 8) we are done having children my hubby got that taken care of 6 years ago. If I have a hyster now I'll probably bounce back faster than if I do it later in life if the abalation doesnt work.

Karen M.
on 10/23/12 10:52 pm - Mississauga, Canada
No, it's not a prescription.  I take 2 per day at this point, waiting to see next blood work results to see if I have to adjust.  I have to have a hysterectomy unfortunately - I have a uterus the size of a 14 week pregnancy and fibroids the size of tangerines that have crystalized. GOOD BYE UTERUS! LOL

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Natasha B.
on 10/24/12 7:53 am - North Bay, Canada
OH yeah!! Karen! Poor you you must be in PAIN!! I dont have those issues!! I'd be sone with it too. I'm still on the fence about what to do. I'll know more on the 31st.

I'm going to ask my GP about proferrin and Feramax tomorrow (for after the IVs)

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/12 3:42 am
PatXYZ
on 10/23/12 9:51 am
Hey Carlijn,

I've had success with taking Feramax at night as well. Did you know you can get the Cypress brand polysaccharide iron (150mg caps, exact same as Feramax), for much, much cheaper from vitalady?
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
kellybelly333
on 10/23/12 3:46 am - Toronto, Canada
HI there. I also had iron issues. Had three infusions and I also take Feramax.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics