Need some info!!

zephie
on 11/3/12 5:11 am - Moose Factory, Canada

Got a question...is the nutritional plan post op the same for RNY as it is for VSG? I'm info gathering right now...and thinking about it. My daughter is having RNY in July 2013 so I'm "thinking" of giving myself a life gift...try living a few more years...I'm 63 & 300 lbs. She is "Go for it Momma!! Then we can travel the world!!" Thanks all!!

4-Jane
on 11/3/12 5:29 am - Canada

Why not try but if you do go soon as they may have concerns as you age good luck and travel well

Respectfully Jane
zephie
on 11/3/12 5:33 am - Moose Factory, Canada

My family doc will send in referral to bariatric registry in December! He has already suggested I was good candidate!

chipmunk_roasting
on 11/3/12 5:38 am, edited 11/3/12 11:57 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

Hi Zephie and welcome ...

I cannot speak to VSG vs RNY, but I urge you to start the process now.

I am 63, and have been in this process for nineteen months;  I've just this week been booked for the pre-surgery class November 14 in Ottawa and meet the surgeon to sign the surgery consent form on December 6.

OHIP has a cut off age of 65 for weight loss surgery* -- please don't wait.   You can always decide *not* to do it, but the clock is ticking on whether you will be able to. 

*This may only apply to Ottawa -- please see my correcting post below.

Marilyn

aka mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

2mar
on 11/3/12 6:30 am
RNY on 09/20/12

I was told (got my OR in September) that the cut off was 60. But as long as you are "in" the registry - no worries. Maybe it is 65 - not sure. But for sure - do not wait.

I would phone them and ask -

chipmunk_roasting
on 11/3/12 11:54 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

I was told by Ottawa that their cut off is age 65.  Nevertheless, the Ontario Bariatric Network FAQ says: 

Am I too old or too young to qualify for weight loss surgery?

The main criteria are related to health rather than age. People over age 65 do have weight loss surgery. The average age of a weight loss surgery person is 41. There is an increased risk of complications after surgery as you become older.

Link at:  http://www.ontariobariatricnetwork.ca/faq.aspx

Each individual centre may operate (he he he pun intended) differently.  God knows they provide enough conflicting advice on diet, Optifast, etc.   The advice given earlier is good -- call the centre to which you will be referred and ask.

Hope this helps.

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

zephie
on 11/3/12 12:06 pm - Moose Factory, Canada

Thanks mmm....I am in fairly good health except for a severely herniated disc in my back that effect walking....weight loss would be a bonus for that...also got diabetes but wls could solve that too...I am gonna make that call Monday morn....thanks again!!

deew1234
on 11/3/12 7:43 am - Stratford, Canada

I had the VSG and I was given the same Nutritional guidelines as the people that had the RNY!! The dieticians told me with time if I still felt hungry to increase the amounts slightly until I felt full or satisfied!! I hope that helps!! Good luck!!

zillah
on 11/3/12 11:27 am

I have a friend that had RNY at the age of 68 she's 2 years out and is a very active lady who loves her RNY.

Hanneli xoxo
on 11/3/12 11:35 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

WOW!!! you had no desire to do it when we met! that is GREAT!!!!! :D Although, i dont have answers for you.. 

Most Active
Recent Topics