Eating too much protein ?????

Donna E.
on 11/6/12 11:47 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 08/16/12

I was informed by the nut at TWH this week that I am eating too much protein and not enough fruits, vegetables, and carbs.  I thought that it was protein, protein and more protein.  I am eating an average of 70-80 grams of protein a day and about 1 serving of veggies a day.  No carbs unless it sneaks in with my protein.  I am almost 3 months post surgery and lost 50 pounds. I am not taking any protein shakes.  I was informed if I started to eat less protein and more  fruits, vegetables, and carbs the weight will come off faster?  Anyone heard of this before?

kellybelly333
on 11/6/12 11:50 pm - Toronto, Canada

They told me the same thing. We do need carbs to survive, so I would suggest getting more veggies in. And maybe a low GI fruit like an apple. :-)

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Karen M.
on 11/6/12 11:51 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Uhhh.... I don't know who your nut is, but frankly... that person is a NUT.

YES to the protein - 70-80g is NOT too much per day. Yes, take veggies - they're good carbs.

WTF?  Who the F hires these people??

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

2mar
on 11/7/12 12:18 am
RNY on 09/20/12

we need carbs for brain function.... maybe that nutritionist needs a bit more carbs ;)

Jenaypea
on 11/7/12 12:02 am, edited 11/7/12 12:12 am - Canada

Hey Donna,

I got the same advice from my dietician at TWH at my one month. There is no question that I was carb phobic going into that appointment.

I was all about the protein to the point I was getting nothing else in, her advice to me was to ensure I got more than one food group in at every meal, and she made a couple of recommendations that included some carbs- a tablespoon or two of kashi go lean in my Greek yogurt, a tablespoon of mashed potatoes, a piece of cucumber or a single grape.

That was three months ago, I took her advice and other than a 9 day stall ( a month ago) I have been losing steady. I am down a total of 84 lbs since my surgery on July 9.

Don't get me wrong, I don't go crazy with carbs - usually about 40 grams a day.

I am on my fitness pal (jenaypea)if you want to friend me, I am more than happy to share my food diary.

Jenn

Patm
on 11/7/12 12:26 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I go to the nut at TWH. I was told at least 70 g of protein a day. I have never been told this is too much. I do try to include a little veg fruit and carb. Maybe we had a different nutritionist.

Julia P.
on 11/7/12 12:53 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

This is interesting.  I'm early out so far and still using a lot of shakes/powder to get Protein.  I'm up to as much as 110 grams per day, but still getting in a fairly decent amount of carbs as well (average 50 grams per day just from hot cereal, yougurt and some pureed fruits and veg).  I have stalled a bit this week in weight loss, but I don't think upping the carbs will fix that?  Hmm....

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

shrinkingeve
on 11/7/12 12:55 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 11/15/12

I JUST got off the phone with the OWMC and was told I should after surgery at my height of 5'9" try and get 78-115 grams of protein and at the very least 100 grams of carbs a day. That seems quite high in the carb department does it not? I wish everyone in the medical field would get on the same page so we would not get mixed messages as it sounds to me like you are doing great! If you are feeling fine and losing weight why change anything?

I run  The O.W.L.S. (Ottawa Weight Loss Surgery) Closet. We are a local clothing exchange and social group stemmed off of a couple of the local support boards on Facebook and also OH members for those having had or going to have WLSWe meet monthly for a large clothing exchange and potluck in the East end of Ottawa.

Feel free to contact me for details or add me on facebook: "Evie Katt"

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/12 2:36 am - Straford, Canada

To be somewhat balanced, each of us is different in our weight loss needs, diets and body types.  I know when I eat 100 grams of protein a day I really do not have room for much more.  Maybe a piece of fruit or a cracker or two but not much more.  I (myself, without a NUT advice) have cut the protein down to 70 to 80 to give myself room for some cereals, salad, veggies and fruit.  Perhaps the NUT in any centre is not competent, I do not know.  We all do not need the same diet/balance of foods.  On the guy's side of this ledger I was a light weight and lost a good amount of weight very quickly, but I noticed another guy losing hundreds of pounds.  I never had that much to loose.  I can't really compare what anyone has recommended to me and other folks!  We need to allow for some discrepancies between each other imo.  

Mary A.
on 11/7/12 3:11 am

not to dismiss your nutrionist but unless she/he is extremely well versed in bariatric and has updated her education as bariatric surgery has become more prevalent and progressed...I would say that she is wrong.  (JMO), not stating that she is

I was told by my bariatric surgeon that the  minimum amount of protein to be consumed is 80 grams/day with striving for more.

KUDOS to you for getting the majority of your protein from (actual) food that is awesome

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics