did anyone have PE- pulmonary Embolism after surgery-need clarification please

newhope7
on 11/10/12 8:32 am - Canada
RNY on 11/05/12

Hello,

I am 5 days post op. I have been coughing up small amts of phlegm since surgery ( normal from intubation). I  have noticed when I do any type of exertion I am SOB ( short of breath), worse at end of day /overnight. I am able to sleep on 2 pilows but awoke this am and coughed up a lot of clear/white sputum. It happened again today to a lesser amount after I woke up from a nap ( in lazyboy). 

I have gone for 2 short walks today 3/4 way around my block and again all the way around. This did not induce coughing but was definitely tired and somewhat SOB. 

I don't have irregular pulse and not chest pain per say. I can deep breath, my chest is slightly uncomfortable at times. These things don't totally add up to possible PE but I have a high family history of PE and other leg clots. 

When is it time to go to emerg with this SOB. Can anyone let me know if they had SOB and not had a PE after surgery.

I should note that when I woke up in recovery I asked for 02 as I was panicky SOB

BLAh, Blah sorry for long winded account1

Sueg
on 11/10/12 9:19 am - Canada

Being as you are only 5 days out, it would not hurt to go in and get things checked out.  When i came out of surgery and in my room, i started coughing and could not stop. Not only was i cough up plem(sp) but also blood.  The doctor was imediatly called and blood tests were ordered right away and thank goodness it was only from the tube down my throat.  Be on the safe side and get it looked at!!!

newhope7
on 11/10/12 7:13 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/05/12

THANKS for your concern and information. most appreciated.

Michele

Cuter_w_Curves
on 11/10/12 9:53 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Please go get checked out, and they can check your O2 levels as well...

I'd actually be concerned about lung issues because pneumonia is a risk of major surgery so better to err on the side of caution here... Pneumonia can result from anesthetic. Specifically aspiration pneumonia. If it is a minor issue now TREAT it. If it is major... It needs treatment ASAP.

Though from my own experience it sounds like when I am in respiratory distress (usually environmental triggers) without infection... SOB, clear/ white sputum, etc. and I usually have to get checked by the respiratory team, and get new scripts.

I'd tell you to call Telehealth but for breathing they do not tell you to wait. They tell you to go to an ER now.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

newhope7
on 11/10/12 7:15 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/05/12

Thank you for the info - most appreciated.

Have improved greatly since last eve. I am monitoring this - a nurse friend coming to visit today and will go from there.

Michele

Cuter_w_Curves
on 11/11/12 12:13 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
That's not quite what I mean by being checked out. All 3 issues are serious. Go to either the ER or a walkin clinic TODAY. Preferably an ER. You need your O2 levels checked, possibly your CBC done, possibly some chest imaging. It is wonderful your friend the nurse stopped by but what equipment did she have with her?

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

MissGlitter
on 11/10/12 9:13 pm - Bergen Op Zoom, Netherlands
RNY on 09/07/12

Don't wait.  Go to an ER NOW.  As soon as you read this.  I had a PE after having a varicose vein stripped 2 years ago.  The only symptom I had was SOB.  It can build and block the lung or heaven forbid, dislodge and head for your heart or brain. 
 Don't wait.  If you're wrong, fine.  The ER staff won't begrudge you for looking in to it.  If you're right, you saved your own life.  

Click my name to see my timeline.  "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

mermaidz
on 11/11/12 12:44 am - Brampton, Canada

After surgery, we tend not to want to walk or do much because we're tired out physically. And yeah, some of us are lazy ( like me) and some of us need to get the anaesthetic out of our systems because it can stay for quite a few days (My mom would be dopey for weeks, I swear).

I seem to recall "3 ten minutes walks a day". Have you been doing this? I'm not getting the impression that you are and if you are please forgive. I'm going by your account.  You are going to be tired and S.O.B. after walking. Normal.

"when I do any type of exertion I am SOB"....Yup.  How physically active were you before?

Because you are  deep breathing, you are likely going to cough up phlegm. It's called working out your lungs and getting rid of all the crap sitting in them. In between your ribs are "intercostal muscles".. If you haven't breathed deep or coughed hard in a long time, you are using these muscles too. So yeah your chest might be a bit tight and uncomfy when you breathe deep. Clear phlegm is not an issue. 

Eventually it's going to feel good to take those deep breaths but they are necessary.

When you start exercising you're going to be a LOT more S.O.B. and tired, and on top of that in pain from muscles being used.

Do you have a history of panic or anxiety by any chance? I ask because you said when you woke up in recovery you were panicking and that can make you S.O.B..  While you're gf might be able to tell you yes you are cyanotic and you're tachycardic (increased heart rate) she can't make a definitive diagnosis of this because there are too many other diagnostics they need to run to accurately diagnose .. ok? Like an 02 sat machine.

Having a  panic attack will give you the exact same symptoms: perspiration, tachy, cyanotic lips (hyperventilating will do that to ya) rapid resp, jittery

Like the other ladies said, go get checked out. NOW!

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

ShallowGirl
on 11/11/12 3:39 am, edited 11/11/12 3:40 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

The sleeping upright on pillows is more of a chest congestion thing (ie from edema (fluid) in body, excess fluid "third spaces" escapes into the lungs where the skin is thin.)  If you had a lot of fluids during surgery, you might be fluid overloaded.  I don't know if you have cardiac or kidney issues, these can cause people to have more fluid issues.  Walking and peeing help this.

A pulmonary embolism is on the circulation side (would not produce phlegm, would be painful).  Are you taking the shots of low molecular weight heparin?  But these things travel and change.

Shortness of breath is not a good symptom  - ABC (AIRWAY, BREATHING, CIRCULATION) - so if you are having trouble breathing I WOULD go to ER and tell them you had surgery 5 days ago.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Most Active
Recent Topics