Vitamins: new issue after 1 yr out??

Sirene
on 12/2/12 5:43 am, edited 12/2/12 5:52 am - Ottawa, Canada

Back Story: I had low iron but have been able to absorb it via pills pretty well. I take 2x350mg at night as well as the 18mg in each multivitamin. I take 2 every morning with my B12, then calcium and D through the day and I take the iron at night because it makes me nauseous. By the time the nausea kicks in though, I am usually asleep.

Trying to save money, I bought a generic brand of multi and had a terrible time with them. They made me nauseous and gassy and I felt horrible for about 20 minutes. I mentioned it to the APN at my last visit and she suggested that the binders some generic brands use could be the cause. So I switched back to my regular brand (One-A-Day Silver for Women) because I never had an issue before.

Until now!

The past few days I have been nauseous and gassy right after I take them. Then this morning, I actually vomited! I have only vomited twice since surgery and I am over a year out! This is crazy!

And No, I am absolutely NOT pregnant....

Anyone else have issues with their multi so far out? What did you do?

Jennifer  

healthy_4_me
on 12/2/12 8:11 pm
I take my multi at night before bed and then I don't have the nausea problem
Dana    
C. McArthur
on 12/2/12 9:39 pm - Toronto, Canada

I have always had issues with multi vitamins, I take them after I eat that way I don't have to worry about being nauseous.

" Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a bag of chips in one hand, glass of wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride". Love always Cathie        
Sirene
on 12/3/12 9:00 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I always take them after food for the same reason! Apparently, my stomach is getting smarter and catching on to my tricks!!

Jennifer  

kellybelly333
on 12/2/12 11:08 pm - Toronto, Canada

I take the gummy ones. I had problems too before, and have been doing the gummies ever since. I can do them on an empty stomach and they're yummy. However, you need to have four, and they get expensive.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Sirene
on 12/3/12 8:56 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I don't think I cold manage a gummy anything in my mouth. I imagine the texture would be like solidified jello....and I just cant do jello......let alone a semi-solid jello *gag*

Jennifer  

tbtilalaf
on 12/3/12 6:08 am

Guelph recommends prenatal, have you tried those?  Make sure you have something in your stomach as they make me sick if my stomach is empty. Oh and no iron and calcium together or you won't absorb the iron....

Good luck!

Melissa!

Melissa!

Surgery was July 19 2012, and I am doing great!! Only one regret....wish I did this years ago!!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CENTURY CLUB!

Sirene
on 12/3/12 8:57 pm - Ottawa, Canada

There is not enough iron in prenatal vitamins  :(

Jennifer  

tbtilalaf
on 12/4/12 5:23 am, edited 12/4/12 6:17 am

Don't worry about the iron in the prenatal, you won't absorb it anyway...calcium will take over and it always wins. You have to take separate iron pills at least 2 hours before or after any calcium vits. I take calcium and the prenatal (prenatal in the morning 1/2 hour after breakfast and calcium spread out during the day, (it is like 5 pills of 300 mg we only absorb about 500 mg at a time).
You should try the prenatal, as they have high folic acid that is why Guelph recommends them, don't worry about the iron in any multi, you won't absorb it because of the calcium.
Good luck!

Found this post about vits for bariactric patients:  Very interesting!!

http://www.cbpso.com/uploads/8/3/7/2/8372259/vitamin_and_nutrition_guidelines.pdf 

Just copy and paste, it also explain the calcium and iron thing!

Melissa!

Melissa!

Surgery was July 19 2012, and I am doing great!! Only one regret....wish I did this years ago!!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CENTURY CLUB!

Heathergetbetter
on 12/3/12 6:58 am - Trenton, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/02/12

I had nausea from swallowing whole multi vitamins, now I get chewable from celebrate vitamins, with iron in them and no problems. Even before the surgery I would burp vitamin for at least 30 minutes after taking one centrum or generic.

Dr Ref: Sept 9th '10, Dr. Follow up (file lost in bulk transfer) Aug '11Pre-surg Asmt Ottawa: Dec 9th '11File Transf to HRH -another bulk transf Bypass class: Feb 2 '12 Surgeon Consult: Feb 8 '12    Dietician: Feb 8 '12   Soc Wrkr: Feb 8 '12 Nurse: Feb 8 '12 Internist: Mar 9 '12  Surgeon: Apr 4 '12 Opti:Apr 18 '12 SURGERY: May 2 '12    
Most Active
Recent Topics