Kidney Stones

zillah
on 12/28/12 11:21 pm

I am noticing that kidney stones seem to be a problem for quite a few people.  I am a newbie and was wondering is this a result of RNY ?  I asked my Dr. and she had not heard of it being caused by the surgery.  Can anyone answer this question?

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/12 12:02 am, edited 12/29/12 1:58 am - Straford, Canada

This is discussed occasionally on various sites for wls.  Kidney stones are formed by an excess of oxalates and flushing these out with large amounts of water is the best preventative measure any of us can take.  The oxalates form the stones by using calcium and esp carbonate is used to form the stone, but even citrate can be used by the body.  There are specialized forms of calcium that I think are only RX products that can be used to support bone density while not being readily available for stone formation.  I would discuss this with an internist or nephrologist if you get near one, they would know whether this info is accurate (I try to stay up on this as I saw my Dad take kidney stones and it was an extreme pain I do not wish to ever experience, but I can't say what I am reading is current or widely accepted as medical fact).  

My belief is that wls does not directly cause kidney stones nor increases its incidence above the general population (though I do and always stand to be corrected).  

There is def an increase in gall stones after wls, but they are a different animal made of different stuff, stored in different places, etc.  

zillah
on 12/29/12 2:15 am

Thanks Ian I was concerned about this.  I also realise that there are a lot of people on these forums and that the people who are having problems with kidney stones could be a segment of the population who produce them no matter what they do to care for their bodies. I may never have an issue with kidney stones but I will certainly do all I can to drink lots of water.  They sound terrible and I feel sorry for anyone who has to go through this pain. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/12 2:22 am - Straford, Canada

I have never experienced it but my Dad had them several times and it was not pretty!  And I could be wrong, but I have never read anything that points to it being a side effect of wls.  And that doesn't mean it couldn't bring it on for someone too.  But from what I have read its a really good reason NOT to take calcium carbonate but the citrate only.  May 2013 and onwards be kidney stone free for both of us!  kiss

Most Active
Recent Topics