Has anyone not gone through the Ontario Bariatric Registry for RNY through OHIP?

newpossibilities
on 1/11/13 2:41 am - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13

I just came from my 2nd doctor's appointment to go over my blood-work and other information that would be sent in with the application for WLS.

I was very surprised, however, to learn that my doc has not gone through the registry but has contacted the hospital directly.  They have advised him they will take my case but they want me to have a sleep study to confirm/deny sleep apnea before moving forward.

I don't know much about this but I understood that all applications had to go through the registry.   I just want to make sure that this is not going to delay or slow things down.  I would hate to do all of this and then be sent back through the registry to start again.

Does anyone else have experience with their doc going direct?

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/11/13 2:57 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I don't know which hospital it is... but I was referred to Paul Sullivan who forwarded me to the registry... Which is how the rest of the process went. It can still go this way.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

newpossibilities
on 1/11/13 3:15 am - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13

OK, thanks.  The referral is to Hamilton Health Science Bariatric Clinic - no doctor is named as far as I know.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/11/13 3:16 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

The registry is run out of Hamilton. It will be put through I am sure...

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

newpossibilities
on 1/11/13 3:23 am - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13

Awesome, thanks for the info!  I did feel like it wasn't working the way I understood.  Glad you could clarify for me :)

Monica M.
on 1/11/13 5:03 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

i was first referred to a surgeon who had done my friends surgery back in 2000, prior to the registry, that office advised me of the registry and i finished up through the registry.

what hospital were you referred to?

newpossibilities
on 1/11/13 5:35 am - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13

i am being referred to hamilton

bonefish
on 1/11/13 11:16 am
If your referral is with Hamilton health sciences, then your GP is sending you for medical management and not surgery. HHS has a medical program, while surgery is at st joes. If you want surgery your GP needs to use the registry as you mentioned! Otherwise this WILL delay you.
slrm2m2
on 1/11/13 10:21 pm - Canada

I wasted 3 months of waiting time since my GP referred me directly to the surgeon at the hospital who met with me and then simply referred me to the registry.  An entire waste of time.   Ask your GP to also refer you now via the registry to speed things up. You can still see the surgeon beforehand, too, if you want.  My GP wasn't confident that I was a good candidate for wls and wasn't well informed about the registry process since it was fairly new at the time, so he just did what he thought was best.  

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Maureen_R
on 1/12/13 4:05 am - Canada

The bariatric registry is relatively new an apparently many GPs aren't familiar with it. My GP tried to send me somewhere else first but I made sure she went through the registry. People referred elsewhere often end up being delayed because they still have to go through the registry

Surgery February 15, 2013 with Dr Gmora at St.Joe's in Hamilton (includes 98 lbs lost before surgery)

Most Active
Recent Topics