Tried Pizza Pizza's gluten free Pizza

ShallowGirl
on 1/19/13 10:17 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

I was really looking forward to it.  However, it did not work for me.  Am I the only one?

Maybe my wheat intolerance is to something other than gluten.  

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

ready_to_shed_it
on 1/19/13 10:29 pm
Hi there, can you be more specific about it not working? Lol. And what did it taste like? Just curious.
ShallowGirl
on 1/19/13 10:33 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

I thought it tasted great, I got the garlic parmesan sauce with peppers and onions on top.  The crust was like white flour, hard to explain, like a biscuit dough.   Thin.

I got my bf gluten free with bruscetta sauce, bacon and onions and he ate the whole thing and didn't share!  He said he wasn't that keen on crust (mealy) but ate whole thing.

My reaction was stomach pain and strong stomach rumbling.  I got my bf to put his hand on my stomach to feel the rumbling.  It passed in about 15 minutes.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

ready_to_shed_it
on 1/19/13 10:42 pm
Pizza used to be my fave food. I've tried recreating it but to no avail.....sigh!

Now since I have limited amount of space, I'm very picky on what I eat. It must taste good (to me) or else it's just not worth it!

Can you tell I'm a creature of habit? Don't like change much. Thanks for the explanation.

Lisi
Nanato2
on 1/19/13 10:33 pm, edited 1/19/13 10:34 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Gluten free pizza does not taste much different then regular pizza it is a lot lighter I find.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/20/13 12:29 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I can't try their gluten free option because most times gluten free is loaded with corn but... Something I learned in the process of dealing with food issues:

Gluten Free would not necessarily obligate them to preparing the gluten free dough on a gluten free surface and cross contamination in a place like that is a very high probability.

Some toppings (including sauces) can actually contain gluten... It is a real kick in the pants to have a food issue but this is a reality.

As for Pizzas... Make your own. Buy the gluten free crusts (they come in 4 packs in the freezer department usually in stores that carry a fair amount of gluten free), buy tomato sauce that is JUST tomato without other stuff. Add your own flavours (garlic from the pureed garlic in a jar you can buy, basil can be bought in a squeeze tube already pureed), use turkey pepperoni or any other kind of no fat deli meat chopped up... anything else you like like mushrooms, etc.

It takes about 10 minutes to prep 4 personal sized ones... can be a lot of fun as a team (more than one person) effort and takes about 10 minutes in the oven.

We've used everything from Naan bread to pitas to store bought crusts...

Oh and... Never think you must eat your whole slice. What harm is there in picking off the toppings? Does it look dainty? Who cares if it works.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/13 4:59 am - Straford, Canada

have a really good tasting GF dough recipe, its very sticky so not a joy to make but it tastes very good.  I find all the restaurant ones including fast food joints use the same frozen product which to me tastes like something comparable to cardboard (though that's a guess as I have never chowed down on cardboard)!  if you want the recipe message me!  

Elizabeth R.
on 1/20/13 6:57 am - Morrisburg, Canada

http://www.soveryblessed.com/2012/02/quinoa-pizza-bites.html?m=1

made these today and they tasted just like pizza, and DH loved them as well

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/20/13 7:10 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Great suggestion! I tried those at an xmas party and they are good!

**Overheard that they can sometimes stick in the little muffin openings so the ones I tried were cut into pieces... An alternate idea would be those silicone bake sheets/muffin sheets. Then they would pop out.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

ShallowGirl
on 1/20/13 8:50 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

Thanks for suggestions all.  

Most Active
Recent Topics