Tomorrow is three weeks out and how much exercise should I be doing ?

seebs
on 1/30/13 9:08 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 01/10/13

Hey folks I have been walking everyday but its not strenuous nor does it feel like I'm doing enough.

What should I be doing ... intense uphill and a solid hour?

I'm currently getting iron transfusions two more to go and then I am told I will have my red blood cell levels up and back to "normal"

Anyway what are you all doing ? How much exercise do you do and what do you do ?

Is weights and elliptical at the gym too much ? I know we have to be careful but what's not enough and what is too much.

Help please thanks.

seebs        

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/13 9:12 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

I wouldn't  do to much more than walking until you have your follow up with the surgeon. Remember your plumbing is still healing and no heavy lifting.   

seebs
on 1/30/13 9:16 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 01/10/13

Thanks Debra,

Good to know ... its so hard because I feel great other then some upset tummy days but im still on fluids strained soup, yogourt and milk.

Thanks for your reply I appreciate your response :)

seebs        

katzmeow13
on 1/30/13 9:53 am

I'm  2 weeks tomorrow, I try to walk on the treadmill for 10 min three times a day. I'm only walking at about 2mph but just did the increase from 5 min and 1mph and 3 times a day all in the same day, actually I made the mistake of doing 15 min... Plus 2x10 min. The next day.... Oh my. Now I do 10 min usually after meals because it makes me feel less full if I go beyond and take the dreaded last bite.

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

lilbird
on 1/30/13 11:09 am - Cambridge , Canada
RNY on 01/10/13

I agree with the previous posts. No heavy stuff yet, we are three weeks out tomorrow, and still healing internally, remember they rearranged our insides lol.. I have a York universal gym sitting quietly waiting for me to use it in my exercise room. Was gona try the stepper machine but hubby says it too might be a bit hard on the stomach as of yet. So for now I am simply using the Gazelle, too darn cold outside for me to go out there to walk lol, except for the mall and store walking. I seem to always looking for a sweater or warm socks lol.. goes with the territory I know.

Not sure when you go for checkup, I see Dr. Reed. Feb 12 th and 13th Nurse/ Nut.  Seem to be stuck at 250 right now for past almost week. lol was not expecting a stall so early out.. but oh well.

Glad to hear your doing good, btw have you tried the protein from wall mart (Beneprotein) i find it has no taste really, added a wee bit to my cream soup. Still afraid to add too much. I did find the sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast Essentials at Wall Mart in the pharmacy area. They are 315 ml, 150 cal, 12 g protein, 37% daily calcium and 12 % daily iron. I still find them a wee bit sweet so I split one and add a little 1% milk and have for snacks. I find the protein shakes from Cosco and the ones I got from Wall mart (Body Fortress) etc way too sweet for me.

Are you drinking any protein shakes ... I too get a kinda sick tummy every so often.. but it is getting better each day.

TC Donna

1/10/13  Dr. Reed(Guelph) HW 315  OPTI 284.8 (-17.2 )  SD 267.5   CW 181.8 GW 125

1)19.8 2)12.8  3)11.4 4)10 5)10.2 6(July) 9.0 7)6.8 8)     9)      10)      11)      12)

There is no duty we underrate so much as the duty of being happy. Robert Louis Stevenson.

seebs
on 1/30/13 12:03 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 01/10/13
Nurse and dietician feb 5th and feb 12th for dr so I am there At 9 am for the twelfth
I am not on protein shakes yet ... I am worried to try them but otherwise doing good

seebs        

Delicious_Delilah
on 1/30/13 9:34 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I got the go ahead to start swimming at three weeks, but my incisions had to be healed (and they were).  But they were pretty clear that they didn't want any strenuous exercise including weight training until at least 8 weeks.

Hope that helps!

mermaidz
on 1/31/13 1:36 am - Brampton, Canada

Very individual thing. At ten days I could do arms and legs. At 3 weeks I could start core training. That was with the go ahead of my surgeon. Some of us heal faster than others.

So.. see surgeon.. Ask him at the one month check up.. Ask everything you just asked us.

Incisions? when healed you can go into the water. that's usually about two weeks.

BUT..if you are getting transfusions, I'd be reminding that surgeon that your energy levels are just coming back to normal (that is if they are) so part of this is going to be you figuring out what is "too much" and what is "just enough" .

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Most Active
Recent Topics